Ford Focus 2007 Zetec 1.6 Climate - noisy fuel pump - argybargy

Just done a journey of about two hundred miles, parked the car then went to move it about two hours later. On turning the key to prestart position there was a click from the relay/ fuse box under the glovebox, followed by a kind of rushing sound, lasting a second or two from underneath the car in the region of the fuel tank. Never noticed this noise before, and until today the car has always started without making that particular sound. I assume its the fuel pump, but I dont know why its suddenly started doing this. I had a Meriva with a fuel pump that buzzed on start up , but this sounds different.

Car still starts fine--should I be concerned at this new sound?

Cheers.

Ford Focus 2007 Zetec 1.6 Climate - noisy fuel pump - Roly93

We have the 2009 version of this car, and our fuel pump can be clearly heard for a second or two when the ignition is turned on. It have observed this on other petrol Focii also.

Although I hear no click from the dash like you describe

It is possible that the noise has always been there but I cant say Ive noticed it before. If anyone else has noticed a sudden increase in noise from the fuel pump which has eventually resulted in any issues with the fuel system such as hesitation, poor starting or running, etc, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Thanks.

Ford Focus 2007 Zetec 1.6 Climate - noisy fuel pump - Peter D

As you mention a rushing noise it sounds as though the pump is priming the whole system as though the fuel had drained back to the tank. This should not happen. You may have a leak somewhere letting in air when the engine is off.

If you let it prime and repeat the process does the pump eventually stop maing the rushing noise. Regards Peter

Over five years late, but thanks for your answer.

I've become used to the noise of the fuel pump priming, but just lately I've noticed under the car, whilst the engine is running and after longer journeys, what I can only describe as a "rushing" sound.

The noise is similar to that made by the initial surge of fuel that forms part of the priming process, but has now become constant, although its not there after shorter, local journeys.

There's no noticeable effect on the car's performance and neither is there any smell of fuel, so I'm tempted to ignore it. However, I'm also aware that the advent of a new sound is often a precursor to problems.

Should I be concerned?

Edited by argybargy on 02/10/2016 at 16:24

Ford Focus 2007 Zetec 1.6 Climate - noisy fuel pump - Wackyracer

Have you ever changed the fuel filter?

No, I haven't. Is it fairly easy?

yes very easy. it's underneath near the fuel tank. 2 hoses and a securing screw, just remember to de pressurise the system first by pulling the fuse or relay out and let it run till it stalls.

Thank you.

I did have a look on Youtube and found a US video which showed it in front of the offside (their nearside) rear wheel, but when I checked last night I couldn't find it; though I didn't look on the other side, come to think of it. Would the position vary according to the variant of Focus?

Haynes doesn't even mention it, which is odd, but only talks about the fuel pump.

My mistake Argybargy, I didn't pay attention to yours being a 2007. Yours is listed as a 'lifetime' filter so is probably in the fuel tank.

Right, well that explains the omission of any mention of a fuel filter by Haynes.

So the fuel filter would be changed at the same time as the fuel pump, which means removing the tank.

Thanks again.

Ford Focus 2007 Zetec 1.6 Climate - noisy fuel pump - John F

Our 2000 Focus 1.6 Zetec pump failed a few weeks ago, stranding us. Actually, it just blew the fuse - if I'd had a spare we could have continued. So, hope this is a helpful tip; carry a spare fuse, perhaps 5amps more than the fuel pump fuse, (20a rather than 15a ) 'cos blowing its fuse is apparently a sign of imminent failure. The pump does indeed have a filter as an integral part, although our old Focus has one on the fuel pipe to the engine too.

Cheers for that. I only notice the abovementioned noise after a longish trip, and driving around town there's no obviously unusual sound from the fuel system at all.

But I'll take your tip and keep a spare fuse on board.