Ford Focus 1.6 tdci zetec 2005 - Fuel consumption - focuskev

My instrument display which tells me outside temp,trip and how many km's until an empty tank which I can toggle on the steering stalk............does anyone know how accurate the fuel consumption and km's until empty is?

Currently my reading is that the car is doing 5.6 litres per 100km. I get down to about an eighth of a tank and im still 200km's until empty which seems high.

Any ideas?

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 2010 - Fuel consumption - MikeTorque

Good question, I'm getting a similar problem on a Focus 1.6 TDCi 2010 model.

With 84 miles showing until empty on the computer the orange fuel warning light & chime came on, they shouldn't trigger until 50 miles of fuel left according to the computer. The fuel gauge shows slightly less than 1/8th of a tank so something isn't right somewhere, I'm not sure how much fuel is actually in the tank.

Does anyone know what's going on ?

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 2010 - Fuel consumption - Peter.N.

My experience with other cars is that there is a lot more fuel left in the tank than it tells you. The only way you can really find out is to take a gallon of fuel with you and drive it until it runs out - or at least until you think its going to. Mine have still been running with the fuel gauge on zero.

I usually fill brim to brim and do the maths on what's left in the tank, but I've only ever experienced the orange warning light first coming on with exactly 50 miles left according to the computer and that's using a number of different Focus mk2 diesel cars.

In the past I've ran down to 0 miles as shown by the trip computer and then some and only managed to fill with 50 litres of diesel, max is 53 litres in a full tank.

Something strange is happening but what is the question ?

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 2010 - Fuel consumption - injection doc

A fuel gauge is only a guide and as most tanks are fairly flat these days accuracey is difficult.

best advice with a diesel is refill on a quarter. leaving it to run on a couple of ltrs of derv in the tank which can cause air pick up which can accelerate HP pump wear something chronic !

In some vehicle handbooks you will actually find that it states if a car runs out of diesel it must have a minimum of 20 ltrs added before being primed ! this is to prevent the pump picking up air and causing very very rapid wear as "air" doesnt lubricate !

I've found out there is a Technical Service Bulletin on fuel gauge faults such as these, I'll following it up with the Ford dealer.

This issue is caused by a malfunctioning low fuel sensor that us built into the dashboard/instrument panel, the sensor itself doesn't work at all.

The only fix is to replace the whole of the dashboard/instrument panel. The low fuel sensor will then operate exactly to specification which is as follows :

Low fuel warning (& chime if set on) with an estimated 50 miles to empty, then again at 25 miles to empty, then again at 0 miles to empty. Any deviation from these values indicates either an intermittent faulty dashboard/instrument panel fuel sensor or a completely failed fuel sensor.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 2010 - Fuel consumption - bagder

i have got the same model car and year ,with exactly the same problem,did you find out if there was a technical service bulletin on fuel gauge faults?.My dealership are very unhelpful,with regard to resolving this fault.

There wasn't a TSB when I had took my car. The Ford dealership had to do a lot of diagnostics work and consult with Ford Technical before they figured out the problem. There may be a TSB now as a result but I'm not sure as I didn't check, so it's worth checking if one got issued.

The dealership can fault diagnose the problem by testing the low fuel sensor on the back of dashboard/instrument panel, if the sensor is faulty then it won't be doing anything or if an intermittent problem then it'll toggle between no signal and the occasion signal.

If the dealership isn't willing or capable of doing this work then they shouldn't be in business, in which case find a more competent dealership.

Thanks for info,been back once for diagnostic check,the light was still on at 83 miles after the check.Told it needed to drive through a cycle of around 50 miles and it would reset itself it did not cure problem my warning light comes on anywhere between 89-71 miles to empty.Been again this week told me to much fuel in tank to replicate fault need to run fuel down to when light comes on and then go back.Also in dispute now whether it comes under warranty or not.Getting really frustrated.Would welome any further advice.

The instrument/cluster panel is covered under warranty. It's easier for them to diagnose the problem with the fuel warning light on showing the 80 or so miles left until empty, so run down the fuel until the light just comes on and then take it into the garage.

Tell them to directly test the low fuel sensor functionality, that's where the problem lies. The low fuel sensor is fitted into the instrument/cluster panel and cannot be changed under warranty without changing the instrument/cluster panel, it's a fairly straightforward job for them to do. Expect approx. 4 to 5 day wait for the replacement instrument/cluster panel to arrive. Ask them for a courtesy car in the meantime if you need transport.

After providing the dealership with the information off the website,my car went back in for further diagnostic testing,i was then told that my car was reprogrammed so that the low fuel light would come on at 75 miles to empty.

This did not resolve the problem , light coming on anywhere between 98/ 90 miles to empty, after further complaints to dealership,i was told they were awaiting advice from ford technical, they told me that because the fault only existed on my car it would not be treated as a priority.No one will advise me about my 3 year warranty.

Not being satisfied i contacted Ford uk.all that has happened since is nothing apart from numerous phone calls, so i wrote a letter to the head of Ford uk customer relations,who advised me they would investigate my complaint .

Today i received a telephone call from Ford uk saying the advice from Ford technical was that it was acceptable for the low fuel warning light to come on at 96 miles to empty, although it clearly states 50/25/12 in the handbook and were not going to pursue the matter any futher.So i am back to the original problem.They tell me there is nothing they can do to rectify the problem.Can anybody advise me

They are talking utter rubbish. The level of incompetence of some garages and Ford Technical seems to know no bounds. The garage I took my car wouldn't give up and neither would I.

This is not the first time this problem has occurred for Ford, if they haven't bothered to record the work done for my car and other cars then it's no wonder they claim the problem only existed on your car, they're talking utter rubbish.

They have to remove the instrument cluster panel and directly test the low fuel sensor functionality, the low fuel sensor will either not be working at all (as with my car) or only intermittently working, that's where the problem lies, if they are too lazy to do that then they shouldn't get paid nor have a job. It's utter rubbish them saying they have reprogrammed the software for the light to come on at 75 miles to empty, they may have blown in some fresh software (that's the lazy approach to problem solving) but that won't cure the problem as it's a hardware problem not a software problem.

Go back and tell them you don’t want the car back until they have taken off the instrument cluster panel and tested the low fuel sensor functionality, and whilst they are about it to fit a new replacement instrument panel. They can keep the car until they have completed the work. In the meantime you are entitled to a replacement courtesy car for the duration of the work, it's all covered under Ford warranty, you may have to pay for the courtesy car insurance cover and fuel but that's it. Be assertive and polite.