Ford Ranger 2500cc Diesel pick-up - Won't rev past 2000rpm - Sean104

Ford Ranger 1999 non turbo (v reg) same as Mazda B2500

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read my problem, but I just have a feeling it's something really simple to someone with more experience in these matters than me. It seems like a really uncomplicated engine.

Starts an idles perfectly, hot or cold. In neutral it will rev to approx 3000rpm. When driving looses all power at between 1500-2000rpm (depending on what gear you are in) and starts producing smoke.

I thought it was just water in fuel and so I drained the fuel completely and replaced the fuel and air filters, but still no change. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Sean

Edited by Sean104 on 05/03/2011 at 13:56

Ford Ranger 2500cc Diesel pick-up - Won't rev past 2000rpm - madf

'

Edited by madf on 05/03/2011 at 15:52

Ford Ranger 2500cc Diesel pick-up - Won't rev past 2000rpm - Peter.N.

I'm not familiar with your particular engine but black smoke is indicative of air starvation, it could be that the air intake hose is collapsing somewhere along its length or the air filter is clogged.

Thanks Peter,

I did put a new air filter in but I will check the air pipes/hoses to see their condition and make sure nothing is inhibiting air intake.

Thanks again.

Ford Ranger 2500cc Diesel pick-up - Won't rev past 2000rpm - jc2

We had a problem on a car where the engine would lose all power when driven-couldn't find anything wrong,even removed bonnet and drove it and it worked perfectly,put bonnet back on and it cut out when driven.Turned out to be a label tied on to a cable in the engine compartment flying up and blanking air cleaner entrance.Could be your hose collapsing as said above but only happening under high airflow.

Thanks jc2, I'll have a good look for anything like that in the morning and double check the hoses. That's the sort of thing it feels like it is as it runs and pulls so well at low speed.

Thanks again.

Ford Ranger 2500cc Diesel pick-up - Won't rev past 2000rpm - injection doc

Sean, is it black smoke or light blue hazy ? and possibly acrid in smell ?

If its the latter its caused by fuel starvation or the pump not advancing or hosing injector

Thanks doc, yes it's the very light blue type and it is a bit punjent now that you mention it. That's something I'll look into in the morning. I'll look for an advance pump or solenoid, not sure which yet, all a bit of a learning curve at the minute.

Thanks again

I suspect it has a microfine filter deep down inside the fuel pump under the banjo bolt for the inlet fuel feed. Make sue the pump is spotlessley clean and reove the inlet pipe. You need a vey thin screwdriver with sharp right angled point on the end and lift out the nylon filter. Clean and refit. The area must be spotless whilst working on the pump. Also check your diesel filter and make sure no supply pipes are leaking air. Check the bottom of the fuel tank to make sure its still flat! I have seen the bowed up blocking the pick up inside the tank !

Thanks again doc,

I'm just putting my overalls on now. The tank seemed fine, I inspected it the other day when I drain it from a drain plug. It's protectd by a steal guard and that was unmarked. it's only a 2WD pick-up not an off-roader. I'll give the area a good clean first before doing anything on the pump itself. Thanks again for taking the time to post this early on a Sunday morning, glad I checked before going out to start.

Wish me luck!!

Hi, madf, Peter N, jc2 and injection doc,

Well I went out this morning and checked all the air hoses and fuel pipes. The main fuel pipe looked a bit tatty at ends and was long enough to trin back the cracked parts. So all that looked ok.

I undone the main banjo supply bolt and made up a tool to withdraw the micro-filter inside pump. I pulled out a spring and after nearly giving up finally pulled out a tiny filter. I rinsed it in a clean jar with some clean diesel and was amazed what came off it. I was suprised the truck ran at all lol .Some cotton buds finalised cleaning of the inside of microfilter.

I took off (what I now know as) the advance solenoid as it was easy to get to being on top of diesel pump. I put a jump lead on the body of solenoid and tapped the positive clamp on the terminal. I didn't know what to expect and didn't even get a spark. So I cleaned it up (in an effort to get reference numbers from it as much as anything). I gave it another try after before putting it back and got a spark and a click. So I carried on and gave it a few more operations and it seemed to have plenty of life in it now.

So I put it all back together primed system back up, put battery back on and...

............. She is running like a DREAM!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy. Many thanks to everyone for all your input it is appretiated so much. Special thanks to injection doc for your early post this morning, that did help today.

Ford Ranger 2500cc Diesel pick-up - Won't rev past 2000rpm - Englishbullterrier

And it's so nice to see the issue closed off with the resolution. So many people seem to come on here, open an issue, get advice and then NOTHING !!!....so frustrating....ebt

Thank you for keeping us posted, glad its all fixed. I have seen may times Garages fit £100's of bits only to eventually pass it on to someone like me to diagnose a blocked mircofine filter. Too be honest most techs even dont know its there ! and i have seen so many vehicle running under powered just because of the filter. I think you have done well bacuse they are a mare to remove.

I had no idea it was there either and would never have had the confidence to start putting pointy objects down there into a diesel pump to pull it out only you had told me.

I eventually used the earth core from a bit of 2.5 twin and earth cable with about a 5mm 'L' bent into the end, cut to a nice point. Worked a treat.

Your exactly right. I couldn't bear the thought of unnecessary part replacement and the work involved only to still suffer the original fault. I had a feeing this would end up going that way, wether by myself or by a garage.

I have not posted a problem in the forum before as I have always found the answers I needed from the archives, but this time I needed more help and have been really impressed with the responce. It really shows a side of the internet I have not felt before.

And what a great feeling about the whole experiance, I'm almost glad the truck gave me trouble now........almost lol

Thanks again doc and to everyone else that bothers to read peoples troubles.

Ford Ranger 2500cc Diesel pick-up - Won't rev past 2000rpm - redrocket

I had no idea it was there either and would never have had the confidence to start putting pointy objects down there into a diesel pump to pull it out only you had told me.

I eventually used the earth core from a bit of 2.5 twin and earth cable with about a 5mm 'L' bent into the end, cut to a nice point. Worked a treat.

Your exactly right. I couldn't bear the thought of unnecessary part replacement and the work involved only to still suffer the original fault. I had a feeing this would end up going that way, wether by myself or by a garage.

I have not posted a problem in the forum before as I have always found the answers I needed from the archives, but this time I needed more help and have been really impressed with the responce. It really shows a side of the internet I have not felt before.

And what a great feeling about the whole experiance, I'm almost glad the truck gave me trouble now........almost lol

Thanks again doc and to everyone else that bothers to read peoples troubles.

Hi I have the same problem after running bio but cleared up with injector cleaner twice the third time no change .I even ran it on straight cleaner checked and cleaned injectors by passed the fuel filter and tank .Still no hope .Can you see the micro filter under the banjo bolt or not because I looked and poked but did not see anything .Could I have missed the filter

Ford Ranger 2500cc Diesel pick-up - Won't rev past 2000rpm - redrocket

Hi I also have a ranger that won't rev past 2000 .How far down does the micro filter sit under the banjo bolt .I could not see one .My email is hennyv@talk21.com .I'm not sure if I would get a notification when someone on this forum reply .Many thanks Hendrik

Ford Ranger 2500cc Diesel pick-up - Won't rev past 2000rpm - Peter.N.

No you won't , you have to keep looking. Some very knowledgable people on here.

Ford Ranger 2500cc Diesel pick-up - Won't rev past 2000rpm - fordranger

Hi, Just had a same problem, replaced fuel pump, then injectors ended up being exhaust, droped it off the downpipe and reved like an good,en. hope this might help someone. :-)