Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 (51) - Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 suddenly running rough - One For Sorrow

Hi all,

I have a Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 on a 51 plate and up until last week she was running very sweet. Then a few days ago she would start OK but there was a bit of uneveness in the idling, a bit of splutter even. This cleared though quite quickly after a few revs. Then it became more prolific to the extent the engine management light came on particularly if I accelerate hard to overtake say. Now the spluttering is constant and the engine management light is on continuously although she will still start and run. Also, there is a slight smell of petrol sometimes and a fair amount of white smoke. Not wanting to put suggestions into anyone but I have a hunch it could be a broken down HT lead of a failed plug but dont want to throw money after bad on a hunch as money is a bit of an issue right now for us as it is for many! Any way, is there any way to check before spending over 60 quid on leads and plugs?

In case this is important, when the engine management light goes it flashes 14 times with a final quick fifteenth flash before being continuously lit.

Cheers, Chris

Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 (51) - Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 suddenly running rough - elekie&a/c doctor
Does very much sound as if you have an ignition problem.If I recall ,these late omega models have 2 ignition coil packs (1 per bank)rather than 1 coil pack and 6 leads.So could be one of these in trouble.hth
Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 (51) - Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 suddenly running rough - One For Sorrow

Cheers for that.

Someone else mentioned that one of the coil packs may be faulty so I guess there's as much chance it could be that and not the leads. If it is that, is there anyway of determining which one is playing up. Also, are the two coils both the same or is there one for one set and another for the other?

Cheers

Edit: Is this the offending unit?

www.vauxcentre.co.uk/index.php?product_id=480868&a...l

If so then that answers my question, there are two types, one for each bank. That being the case, can I just change one and what wuld be the best way of checking to see which one is defunkt!

Edited by One For Sorrow on 03/03/2011 at 17:44

Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 (51) - Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6 suddenly running rough - Englishbullterrier

Put the new one on one side, if the fault goes away, fine, if not, replace the original and put the new one on the other side. If that doesn't solve the problem, coil pack was not at fault ?................ebt