Citroen C5 - Replacing a C5 petrol with Diesel - teddybear2

I currently have a Citroen C5 2.0 VTR 2004 that although very reliable is a normal thirsty 2 litre petrol avergaing 30 MPG. Yes a reliable C5 with only usual brake pads tyres. Okay has a brake calipler and power steering pipe but these things happen.

Have a Family of 2 Kids and go camping sometimes so need a big boot with bikes etc.

Looking for a estate this time i think. Any ideas of reliability of C5 Tourer ?

Dont like the ride on Passar. Sorry Father in Law has a 2005 1.8 TDI diesel and i hate it.

Have around 5-10K depending on what i find.

Citroen C5 - Replacing a C5 petrol with Diesel - SteveLee
Although there are obviously very good ones - generally they are no where near as reliable as the petrols - you may well find the money saved on fuel soon goes on sorting various "anti-pollution" and DPF (depending on year) faults. Diesels also sell at a premium - which would have bought you a whole lot of fuel.

On a run I'm getting 30+ mpg out of my V6 - are you being as light footed as you could be? :-)
Citroen C5 - Replacing a C5 petrol with Diesel - Collos25

I am running a Peugeot 407 estate with a 1.6hdi engine at the moment averaging just over 50mpg around town its smooth, quiet ,comfortable worth a look at.

Citroen C5 - Replacing a C5 petrol with Diesel - SteveLee

If you don't mind the performance the 1.6HDi does make more sense than the other oil burners, it is far more reliable than the bigger units due to having less emission kit. My brother's C5 1.6 HDi returned 55+mpg regularly and never missed a beat in 5 years.

Citroen C5 - Replacing a C5 petrol with Diesel - Mr Fox

My advice is Stick with a Petrol engine unless you do a lot of long journeys, around town the HDI will not be much more economical.

If you do the maths then you will see that an extra 10MPG over 10 000 Miles only adds up to a few hundred pounds.

I ran a Peugeot 406 HDI 2.0 for three years 130 K miles and only managed an average of 40 MPG luckily it was before all the emissions kit was fitted so it proved to be a very relaible engine. Even so there is a huge gap in the prices for a Petrol vs Diesel Engined C5. A friend just bought a very good low mileage 1.8 Petrol 2006 model for 3 K whereas a Diesel model was in the Citroen garage for 6 K

Citroen C5 - Replacing a C5 petrol with Diesel - TheOilBurner

Yeah, I paid £5.5k for a C5 V6 a couple of years back, the diesel 2.2 HDI would have been nearer £9k at the time. That pays for an awful lot of fuel.

I also got 30mpg out of my V6, but only on long, careful motorway runs. The norm was about 22-25mpg.

Citroen C5 - Replacing a C5 petrol with Diesel - teddybear2

I must admit the C5 only done 68K.

Normal commute is 30 MPG plus. Must admit on a long run i can get over 35mpg. Even travelling to France last year i got 37 MPG for a full day drive to mid France.

Maybe then the best thing is to service it again and keep running the Petrol. It does use some oil but not that bad. Done since i owned it a feature of the 2.0 Ltr apparently.

I know the reilability of a Nissan X Trail Diesel which my brother had from new and not good.