Honda CR-V - Steering wheel noise - ellieonda

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem. I own a 1999 Honda CRV and have had it from new and love it very much. It only has 41k miles on it but is sadly just beginning to show its age. Recently serviced at my local Honda garage (who I deserted in favour of a local garage due to high costs in the past) and told them about the strange grinding noise I could hear when turning on full lock. They said they would change the diff oil and added £60 to the service charge. Two days later and the noise is still there but not so noticeable. I have to go back to the garage as they tell me the centre exhaust is blowing and should be replaced soon (£145) so I have told them the steering noise is still there and they say they will look at it again for me.

I have been reading up on here and other sites and can see that this subject has been discussed a lot - however my car does not judder or shake it just made this very loud noise - which as I said seems quieter now. Is my problem the 'known problem' that I frequently see discussed do you think and also what questions should I ask of the garage about it. My husband has just purchased a 2007 CRV from this garage and now I am concerned his car may also develop the problem. My car was purchased from this Honda garage as well in 1999. Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Honda CR-V - Steering wheel noise - Lygonos

The usual cause is degraded fluid in the rear differential.

The noise has improved so this supports the cause.

Normally, if a car with a hydraulic power steering pump is turned to full lock, you will get a slight rubbing noise, but if you back off from full lock a little the noise goes away - this is normal.

You shouldn't have your steering at full lock for more than a few seconds at a time.

I would guess you are now hearing a noise that was there to begin with.

Try putting your husband's car on full lock and listen out for a rubbing noise from under the bonnet (should be able to hear it from the driver's seat) - if your car sounds similar stop worrying.