renault megane auto - endless starting problems - pippi

HELP!! sorry just at my wit's end here. I've got a 2001 Renault Megane auto with 60k on the clock. Its actually a very good car, clean engine, runs really well, etc, etc. BUT and its a big but. Since I got it a year ago I've had intermittent starting problems with it. Last winter and this winter.

Dashboard lights up as you turn the ignition, then when you try to start it nothing. No click, engine doesn't turn over, lights go out but as soon as you release the key they go back on again.

I've had the RAC and garage go over the car on so many occassions. On their advice I've had a new battery, had the antifreeze changed, the coils have been replaced, all the connections and wiring has been checked. Then both RAC and garage decided it was the interuptor switch (the switch that stops an automatic starting in gear) I've had that replaced. (Its also serviced regularly and flew through its MOT)

But its still doing it. I can often get it going by pushing the gear shift right through the range quite roughly and back to P or N. If that doesn't work then I'll leave it for five minutes and it starts. If that doesn't work I spray the starter motor area with WD40 and it starts or does after five minutes. If that doesn't work OH has a poke around and normally gets it going eventually.

Has anyone got any ideas before I throw away yet more money on it?

renault megane auto - endless starting problems - Peter D

You need to carry a meter with you and next time it does not start check if the 12 v feed is getting to the pre-engage solenoid on the starter. This will take 2 people though unless you can clip the meter leads on and see the meter when you lean into the car. You say the dash lighs go out and no click. This could be a faulty ignition switch, not uncommon. Regards Peter

renault megane auto - endless starting problems - Englishbullterrier

Check main earthing points to body and block ??......ebt

thank you both. OH understands what you mean Peter D and will also arm myself with all points on trip to the garage on Friday morning - will let you know how I get on!

Well, it needs a new starter motor. Turns out they'd tested the inhibitor switch and that had been faulty too. but tuns out its as simple as a new starter motor. Joy...

thanks everyone for your help