Fiesta 2003 1.4TDCi - Ford Fiesta dipstick snaps - Norrie.com

It appears that the problem with the dipstick bottom end measuring section snapping off isn't uncommon. It happened to me the other day. The mistake I made was slightly turning the dipstick inside the tube. The bottom end of the tube inside the sump has two bends in it like a slightly flattend out 'S'. Unusually compared with other engines, this tube is longer than the dipstick and the part that broke off was stuck inside the bottom end of the dipstick tube in the last bend. This meant it couldn't get into the engine (not a chance I would take even now knowing this) but also I couldn't check the oil level. Another unusual fact was that the big ends and crankshaft are set quiet well up into the block and so couldn't actually reach the broken part of the dipstaick even if it had protruded out the end of the tube. All this was only found out by removing the sump. this is pretty easy, the hardest part being breaking the seal between the sump and the block. A scraper or putty knife used carefully with patience will evetually break the seal. Make sure the oil is drained first (!) and that you have a supply of gasket sealent (Usually the blue variety) as a traditional cork gasket isn't used here.

Ordered a new dipstick from Ford (line of thought being that one out of a scrap yard might already be weakened and break again) but it is supplied with the external part of the dipstick tube even though I didn't think I needed it. Cost around £24.

Edited by Norrie.com on 01/03/2011 at 23:38

Fiesta 2003 1.4TDCi - Ford Fiesta dipstick snaps - dantheman2110z

Hi

I had the same problem over the weekend i removed my sump and tried many ways to try and remove the broken part of my dipstick, but no luck. Did you actually manage to remove the broken part? and if so how?

Look forward to your reply

Thanks

Dan

Fiesta 2003 1.4TDCi - Ford Fiesta dipstick snaps - Avant

Moved to Technical.

Fiesta 2003 1.4TDCi - Ford Fiesta dipstick snaps - galileo

It appears that the problem with the dipstick bottom end measuring section snapping off isn't uncommon. It happened to me the other day.

Ordered a new dipstick from Ford (line of thought being that one out of a scrap yard might already be weakened and break again) but it is supplied with the external part of the dipstick tube even though I didn't think I needed it. Cost around £24.

Classic case of bean-counters rather than engineers in charge of design.

"Lets make the dipstick so the end falls off so we can sell replecements and increase profits!"