Fiesta with a Mondeo clutch? - SteveH42
A friend of mine has a P reg Fiesta which has just needed a new clutch at less than 30k miles. The garage she took it to claimed that it was one of the 10% of Fiestas that had a clutch from the Mondeo, so as well as changing the clutch unit, they had to change something else. I can't find out exactly what as she isn't that car-literate, but I think it was a servo unit. She's now not too happy with it - it's been done about 10 days and is still *really* sharp and she says it just does not feel right.

First question is, are this garage telling the truth about some Fiestas having a Mondeo clutch? (Sorry, but I don't know which model it is) And further, if they do then surely it is less likely to wear out exceptionally early, as this seems to have done. Also, is it ever necessary to change more than just the clutch itself? Lastly, is 10 days enough for a clutch to bed in, or does it sound like there is something else wrong?

TIA!
Fiesta with a Mondeo clutch? - TrevorP
"some Fiestas having a Mondeo clutch?"

Well, if it's a 1.6 (the only engine I know that went in both) it is possible - actually, on reflection, quite likely.

"If they (are the same) surely it is less likely to wear out exceptionally early."

In my experience, there are normally 2 things that wear out clutches early - preponderance of traffic driving and/or slipping by the driver.

"it's still *really* sharp and she says it just does not feel right."

Could it be that now is how it should be, and that "worn" was just different?

Fiesta with a Mondeo clutch? - SteveH42
Got some more details last night - it's a 1.3, so unlikely to be a common engine between models! Also, the 'not right' comes from when she changes up from 2nd to 3rd. Apparently the revs don't drop when she operates the clutch, but the gear changes OK. She says it sounds like the clutch isn't breaking the drivetrain. (But she isn't too technical I'm afraid so it could be anything!)

Any suggestions?
Fiesta with a Mondeo clutch? - Blue {P}
Well, I had a 1.3 Fiesta and i can assure you that I did not have a Mondeo clutch fitted at replacement time.

Sounds a little strange to me that Ford would fit a clutch from a car where the smallest engine is 1.8, into a 1.3 Fiesta?

Blue
Fiesta with a Mondeo clutch? - Galaxy
If the Fiesta you're talking about does, indeed, have a Mondeo clutch fitted, then the "other part" that the garage changed would almost certainly be the clutch slave cylinder, which is, in this design, an integral part of the clutch, i.e. it isn't an external component.