Winter Remoulds - primeradriver
After the winter we've had, and the difficulty I experienced getting anywhere, I am seriously looking into finding four steel wheels for my Mk2 Focus, and getting winter tyres on them so I can move them over come October time so I am not caught out again.

Normally the tyres are pretty expensive, but I did find these:

tinyurl.com/6352crt

Which are £39 each delivered, and there is a local place that will happily put tyres on for a fiver a wheel. So not a massive amount of outlay.

I'm not happy with the idea of using part-worns -- I know some people advocate them but I don't like the idea of driving on something that hasn't been thoroughly tested before sale as many of them haven't -- but by the same token I'm not overly impressed with the idea of spending £400 on a second set of tyres.

Do you think these would be OK? I have noted that the reviews for these tyres ("Winter Tact" of Germany) seem fairly positive, but that word "remould" still carries a stigma so I am not sure.

Any views appreciated.
Winter Remoulds - SteveLee
I would trust them to be okay as long as your not going to blast up and down motorways at sustained high speeds. PS I'd revise your link for privacy reasons if I were you as it contains your postcode details.

Steve.
Winter Remoulds - gordonbennet

From such a source as Mytyres i too would trust them.

However have you thought of replacing the normal tyres with quality all seasons..eg Vredstein Quatrac 3's or similar, and just run the one set all year round?

Towards the summer the ridiculous prices seen recently of such tyres will (hopefully) stabilise.

Thanks for that -- I'd be keeping the speeds down with them on for reasons of the weather they'd be dealing with if nothing else. Could a mod sort the link for me as I don't see any way of editing it either here or at tinyurl.

Oh, and good shout re the all-season tyres, I will look into this as well (I have only just replaced two tyres, and the rears have 6mm of tread left, so it'll be a while before I'm in a position to throw the current ones away mind!).

I have another 6-8 months to think about this though so there's no rush -- this was one option that seemed like a good one on paper.

The other thing I'd ask though is this: The Focus at work is an "eco" model with 195/15 tyres -- would these wheels be freely available as of course the tyres in this size are significantly cheaper, and in the snow narrower tyres do the business more efficiently than wider ones do.

Hmmm, yes the Vredesteins look *very* interesting -- I will seriously consider when the time comes.

Winter Remoulds - TeeCee

Also look at the Kleber Quadraxers. Newish product and they get a big thumbs up from me.

I have 'em on a Zafira "A". Warm / dry braking seems as good as the previous Michelins, handling is significantly better (yes, I was surprised too). They do what it says on the tin in snow / ice / cold, those "peaks 'n snowflakes" certification logos on the side are not just there as a sop.

No connection etc. just very impressed!

Yes, another good shout -- thanks for that. If I'd known about these I might have bought them in preference to the T1Rs I bought recently.

If course there is now an evil plan swimming around in my head -- rather than having to replace all four tyres in the winter, what would be the matter with putting the Klebers/Vredesteins on the back all year around, and simply alternate between the best summer, and the best winter tyres as and when applicable?
Winter Remoulds - Mike H
PS I'd revise your link for privacy reasons if I were you as it contains your postcode details. Steve.

So what? How does knowing that someone driving a Primera lives in a particular street help anyone?? Let's not get too paranoid! :-)

Edited by Mike H on 01/03/2011 at 21:50

Winter Remoulds - captainkirk

Its my view that remould winter tyres are a good option. Stigma around remoulds arise from a perception that tyre debris sometimes noticed on the roads are remoulds gone wrong. Its my understanding that this blowout debris is largely the result of wrong inflation. Remoulds are a good environmental choice since they take less energy and resources to manufacture. The further the temperature drops below about 7c the better will be the comparative grip which in turn is an issue of safety.

Am I connected to the motor trade in any way? no

Do I run around on winter remoulds? yes

Do I live in rural Aberdeenshire? yes

Best wishes.

Winter Remoulds - Alby Back

Where do you source them Cap'n?

Winter Remoulds - Graham567

I am running 16" Wintertact(from Germany) remoulds.They have 11mm of tread and so far have been brilliant.They are no more noisy than my summer tyres and the ride has greatly improved due to going from 18" to 16".I don't know what they are like in the snow because we haven't had any yet but i don't doubt that they will excell when it comes.

I would highly recommend them.

Winter Remoulds - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }

When I was a young lad---- That was a long time ago and the only 'snow' tyres I could get for my Mini Clubman Estate (I got through three of those as each one rusted away) were the tyres used in Mini Grasstrack racing - Uniband Rally Remoulds! They were, however, brilliant in snow and after a back-end slide on ice in a Fiesta with Summer tyres a few Winters ago, I'm decided to always use the correct tyres in Winter. My experience of today's Winter tyres is - - Vredestein Snowtrack - Brilliant on snow and ice; Vredestein Quatrac 3 - Very good in snow, good on ice, but not brilliant. Quatracs really are a good choice for all-year-round use but may let you down on an icy hill. My local tyre-fitter is enthusiastic about Kleber Quadraxers, which he says are brilliant in snow.

My Mk6 Fiesta came fitted with 15" wheels and 50-profile tyres, whereas the pre-2006 model was fitted with 14" wheels and 65-profile tyres. A couple of the latest Mk7 Fiesta models are fitted with the 14" wheels so as to use less fuel. Fitting 14" wheels and 175/65 R14 snow tyres gives me a much more comfortable ride, the car 'drives' better with lower fuel consumption and I'm loathe to go back to the harder ride of 195/50 R15 tyres! Finding 14" Fiesta wheels in scrap yards was hard work and I got sold some very rusty wheels, which were then stolen by the metal thieves whilst I was wire-brushing them at the back of the house! But this Winter, I've found a couple of alloy-wheel suppliers who are offering to supply a full set of steel wheels ready fitted with Winter tyres to fit most cars. The wheels are made in Germany by KFZ (there's a YouTube video of the factory) and you get a choice of tyres. Here's two that I've found---

www.wheelbasealloys.com/14_Inch_Steel_Wheels_for_F...5

www.coordsport.com/general-news/winter-steel-wheel...m

Anyway, my Fiesta died before Christmas with a broken crankshaft pulley and the one I ordered off e-Bay has just been delivered and isn't the right one (the picture in the advert was the correct one with 'copyright Bilstein' on it, but the one delivered, besides being the wrong one, had no maker's name and was in an unmarked box) and at 150K miles, will a new pulley resurect the old thing? Looks like I'll miss the snow forecast for next week, anyway!

Happy New Year to all...