Vauxhall Zafira 2.2 - Power failure - not fit for purpose? - Rosineufc

I bought this car in August 2009, it had around 5500 miles on the clock. I traded my car in, and took out finance on this one. I bought it as I had become a childminder. No problems until around October last year when it experienced total power failure and the engine management light came on. Took it to local Vauxhall dealer, who were a bit vague about the problem but said they had cleared the fault code. Engine light came on again on Tuesday of this week. Phoned Vauxhall service dept was told I could not be booked in til next Thursday. Today (Friday) the engine cut out 7 times. Limped it to edge of road and called breakdown. Have had to leave it outside garage as they were closed for the night. I need this car for my business and I'm starting to wonder if this fault was apparent with the previous owner and that is why they got rid so promptly. Even if the garage clear the fault again, I have no confidence in this car. The finance agreement is not even halfway point - do I have any recourse with the dealership as its clearly not safe to drive?

Vauxhall Zafira 2.2 - Power failure - not fit for purpose? - Robin the Technician
Hi,
Assuming you purchased the car from a dealer and not private, when it first broke down did you contact the seller to ask what they were going to do about the problem? .This should have been your first action. You now need to ask them what they intend doing to fix the problem - did you get any warranty with the vehicle? Bear in mind that whatever car you buy whether new or used can and invariably does go wrong. That does not mean you immediately reject the car as not fit for purpose. You also have to consider that you have owned the vehicle for 17 months - that alone dismisses the 'fit for purpose' aspect. Contact the seller - see what they say.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician
Vauxhall Zafira 2.2 - Power failure - not fit for purpose? - Rosineufc

Thanks for your response. To be honest this is the first car I have had problems with, and my first thought was just to take it to nearest Vauxhall dealer. It was from a rather large dealership. Now that this has happened again, am I too late in going back to the seller to ask them to fix the problem?