Ford Mondeo - Buying a banger at auction - Blue {P}

Hi all,

Long time no post! I'm looking to get myself a banger to go with the Z4 and was thinking MK3 Mondeo.

Does anyone have a recent idea of how much an early MK3 2.0 petrol Mondeo would fetch at auction? I've seen a few kicking around at about £1K in the private sales, but I would prefer to keep my costs down to a minimum. Would people agree that auction is the best way to go for this?

I'm specifically interested in petrol only as I've had my fingers very badly burned by TDCi before, at the cheap end of the scale I have no desire to repeat the experience!

Any advice appreciated!

Ford Mondeo - Buying a banger at auction - leef

Hi Blue!

Long time no see on here!, nice to see a familar name! Everyone dissapeared during the switch over of the site.

I *still* own my X-reg MK3 Mondeo. 1.8 Petrol. Going strong after 73,000 miles, only minor repairs wear and tear, Shocks, Brakes etc.

Me and my friend went to purchase one from Auction in Manchester around 5 months ago for his paining and decorating job, and general run around. Picked up a 51 Plate 2.0 Petrol for £850, had full service history. Little tatty inside but nothing major, 4 owners and 97,500 on the clock. Had no problems thus far. Had it serviced from an indi for £110 as soon as he got it, runs as good as mone.

Cheers

Lee

Ford Mondeo - Buying a banger at auction - tyro

Hello, Blue!

I'd been wondering where you'd gone.

You may remember giving me the benefit of your knowledge a couple of years ago in connection with the rust problem on our Ford Ka. I eventually succeeded in claiming on the Ford 6 year paintwork warranty, and the work was done in 2009. The rust has reappeared in the last few months and is pretty bad looking, and there's no warranty to claim off now! The Ka will be 7½ years old next month, so we'll have to decide whether to try to deal with it, or just let nature take its course.

Er, sorry - can't help with buying cars at auction. :-)

Ford Mondeo - Buying a banger at auction - jazman

I picked up a Y reg 1.8 Mondeo the other week from Auction. It was a Ford trade in but only 59K on the clock from 1 owner.

Full Dagenham history, the guy who owned it got everything done there, MOT, tyres, Washer fluid the whole lot. Had a A4 envelope full of invoices!

Lovely example, after Test, 6 months tax and £150 getting a minor dent sorted and little bumper marks touched up it cost me £1400 all in.

Could have picked up a cheaper one, saw a 54 plate 2.0 with 94K, 3 owners, part history go at auction for about the same price. Not sure if anything would need to be done to it.

Ford Mondeo - Buying a banger at auction - primeradriver
Why restrict yourself to a Mondeo?

Surely if it's the right size and the right price, just buy whatever is in good condition?

Hey guys! Wan't sure that anyone would remember me, I haven't visited in ages and yes, it was the switchover that sent me packing for a while!

Well the prices that you guys are quoting to me are not really anything like as low as I thought these things would go for at auction! I think I may actually end up with one from the Autotrader or Pistonheads Classifieds.

To my surprise the 1.8 has shown itself to be much cheaper to insure than the 2.0 so that may well end up being my car of choice!

PrimeraDriver - I'm pretty well set on the Mondeo now as I can't find anything else that drives as well, is as spacious or has the low running costs for my budget of less than £1K.

Leef - go on, sell me your's :-)

Tyro - I can't actually remember that, but pleased if I helped at all! It's true what they say about use it or lose it with this knowledge though, I used to know Mondeo specs off the top of my head and now I can't even recall the differences between each model. :-(

Jazman - that sort of car sounds ideal, although I don't think I'll stretch to such a good example!

Ford Mondeo - Buying a banger at auction - baffled1

I would go for a very late mark 2 (X/Y plate) should be 600 max at auction - they dont have the swirl flap issue of the pre 2003 mk 3 and if the clutch is OK they tend to have a fair bit of life left. As long as you check for misfires etc the only issue I recall is the tendency of the brake line to let go behind the fuel tank

I've previously had a MK2 and it was a very nice car, I had the V6 though and I have to be honest, the 1.8 version would probably make me yearn for the V6 again!

I'm quite keen on the MK3 as I seem to remember that the ride is significantly more refined than the MK2.