Avensis D4D 2.2 - Toyota warranty - fred4

Have clutch failure on55k avensis which is still in warranty.No driving problems, but car taken in due to severe burning smell.On inspection clutch plate shows some wear with wear grooves still prominent,but slight scratching on the perimeter.Pressure plate in good condition.black dust evident..Have driven several high mileage cars over many years without clutch problems,so driver style unlikely to be a problem. Mileage is 90per cent motorway..Toyota say wear and tear, although have had two previous component failures on this car, brake caliper with metal fatigue and brake caliper with piston failure..any advice would be appreciated..could always buy a Honda or Beemer..fred4.

Avensis D4D 2.2 - Toyota warranty - madf

See..

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=68824

Avensis D4D 2.2 - Toyota warranty - birdieman

Have had the same response from both the dealer and Toyota about my Yaris after only 18000 miles and like you this is the first car I have had a clutch problem with but they are refusing to contribute or replace under warranty on the grounds of wear and tear I dont know what attitude they will adopt about the newly fitted clutch which cost £943 should it prematurely age also

I have been told by others to look into the dual mass flywheel and the diaphragm spring in particular although I am not a mechanic so this does not mean much to me?

Avensis D4D 2.2 - Toyota warranty - madf

Try another Toyota dealer is my advice..

You may be surprised.

Avensis D4D 2.2 - Toyota warranty - birdieman

I think you are right. I telephoned another and not only was quoted a cheaper price but also told they would look at it under warranty if they could.

Too late in my case as the dealer had already stripped down the cluth before telling me it would not be under warranty!