£5000 partical and reliable small to medium diesel - bear807

Hi all currently im driving a 53 plate honda jazz auto at around 90k miles looking at that the milage is getting high, and is time to let go. I still love the car very much utterly reliable and the storage space is far more spacious than anycar in its class

so here is the question been looking for a used diesel car that is small to medium size, any recommedation? or should i stick with a lower milage used jazz? they are very expensive though

so far i have seen

Fiat grande punto 1.3 multijet - (looks ok to me but not sure about the reliability)

Vaxuall astra diesel - (again the reliablity issue :/)

Renault megane 1.5dci

Suzuki swift 1.3 ddti (abit too small but reliable)

Mitsubishi Colt 1.5d (seldom sees them on the road not sure about how is it)

anymore recommendation?

budget at the moment should be £5000-6000 (assume my car value is around £2500 if i could get more than that?)

Im also very intrested in Hyundai i30 / Kia cee'd 1.6 crdi but unfortunately they over the budget.........

Sorry to ask another noob questions what are the common failures with diesel engines, is it not ideal to do short trip in it? i do around 25 miles a day occasionally short 2 mile supermarket trip twice a week and sometimes 300-400 motorway in a week.

also wanted to ask how many milage span can a diesel do, when i talk to my friend about it they ask me to get one with common rail???

£5000 partical and reliable small to medium diesel - Zub

I wouldn't say 90k is high miles at all. If there is nothing wrong with the Jazz then why get rid of it? The amount of miles you do does not really warrant getting a diesel I would have thought (depending how many times you do the motorway trip).

You say the car is reliable and you love the storage space. If I were you I'd keep it ... the grass isn't always greener on the other side you know.

The milage is only a number on the dashboard, if cars didn't display it people wouldn't worry about it! My Passat is on 160,000 miles now and I still don't consider that very high miles.

Edited by Zub on 22/02/2011 at 22:00

£5000 partical and reliable small to medium diesel - Lygonos

Skoda Octavia with a 1.9 PD engine would fit your specs.

Stick to petrol if you're under 12-15k miles pa is the usual consensus - can usually get a newer/cleaner petrol car than a diesel for the same do$h.

thanks for the advice, skoda is a good choice since it shares component with vw, do i will not save in long term from diesel over petrol? in my jazz assuming 35 litter tank, no matter how careful i drive i never able to do 400 miles a tank, even with correct tire preasure, genttle throttling, dont use brake as much as possible i still get 44-47mpg, i know is not a bad figure but i do want a car that could do a 55-60 in combine cycle, may i ask what type of newer petrol engine that has a good efficency?

Yea i do understand that but as the car is getting old i began to folk out alot for maintanence cost, I regularly service my car in 6 month interval and the cost just formaintainence is over £500 my car is due to exchange the exhaust system soon, dealer quoted me £1000 for the whole system which is alot for a car which is only worth £2500 that s y i would want to change a car

£5000 partical and reliable small to medium diesel - Zub

The cost of maintenance can be changed, for a start you need to stop going to Honda dealers (which I assume you are). I do about 40k miles a year and my maintenance costs are not as high as £500 every 6 months! I change the oil and filters myself (buying genuine VW parts) and have done it every 10,000 miles since I bought the car at 72,000 miles and it runs like new.

I'm afraid whatever car you get will cost you on maintenance if you take it to the official dealer, better to try and find a reliable, independant dealer and save ££££.

Edited by Zub on 23/02/2011 at 21:29

£5000 partical and reliable small to medium diesel - madf

"Sorry to ask another noob questions what are the common failures with diesel engines, is it not ideal to do short trip in it? i do around 25 miles a day occasionally short 2 mile supermarket trip twice a week and sometimes 300-400 motorway in a week.

also wanted to ask how many milage span can a diesel do, when i talk to my friend about it they ask me to get one with common rail???"

I run a Yaris diesel.. short runs - over 5 years average 57mpg. Long journeys? 60+.

Nothing has gone wrong. And Toyota dealers have very few complaining customers..

I have seen them with over 150k miles when I looked at buying one.

As fror common rail relaibility, most Peugeot/Citroen HDI engines do 200k miles with no problems..

Of course, if you don't service them, they will not last..

Edited by madf on 23/02/2011 at 09:35

parking sensors - parking sensors

The most common form of feedback to the driver in a car with parking sensors is audible "beeps" and/or tones. Generally, the frequency of the beep indicates distance from an obstruction, with the beeps becoming faster the closer the vehicle moves to an object. A continuous tone may be heard when the vehicle is extremely close, often warning a driver to stop immediately to avoid collision.

=====================

<a href="http://w********************">parking sensors</a>

thats prety good mpg, is that a new shape yaris?

will peugot 207 or 307 and c3 fit the £5000 categlory?

anyone here has experience with fiat multijet? i would like to hear more about them

£5000 partical and reliable small to medium diesel - madf

Old shape Yaris. New one would do better.

Why don't you use Autotrader,... search 40 mile radius diesels as required...