A diesel Electric powered car?.......... - prestot180

I've been looking into importing a range of electric cars and retrospectively fitting them with a diesel powered charging system to give the range currently expected of our petrol/diesel powered cars. In principle it would give much further range and low CO2 output. I wanted to ask the forum their thoughts on such a venture as an idea.....i have made a survey to fill out as well which is below. if anyone could fill it out - its only 5 or so questions......thanks :)

FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=zfsmp80...9

A diesel Electric powered car?.......... - colinh
Send a qustionnaire to VW:

www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/255262/

A diesel Electric powered car?.......... - injection doc

TBH I have never understood why it hasnt been done, I would of thought a town car with batteries and a small lpg 10hp engine running a generator would of been ideal or a diesel electric with batt support. Then the batteries would be getting support when the demand is off, ie coasting or at lights etc.

Some of the honda LPg genny's these days are so quiet you wouldn't even know one was running.

A diesel Electric powered car?.......... - Andy P

Chevrolet Volt anyone?

www.chevrolet.com/pages/open/default/fuel/electric...o

A diesel Electric powered car?.......... - Reentrant

What are the tax rules? Could you legally use heating oil or red diesel to power the generator?

A diesel Electric powered car?.......... - 659FBE

A minefield. In no particular order:

You can't use fuel taxed at the rate for non-road use for propulsion. Red fuel can legally run a cab heater or fridge, that's all.

To the opening poster - forget it. Only a major vehicle producer has the remotest chance of getting a product to market and selling it. A small outfit has absolutely no chance - think Reliant Robin vs. Polo.

Common sense dictates that a diesel prime mover in conjunction with grid derived energy is the way to do this. There is some progress in the use of grid energy, but as most meaningful hybrid development is carried out outside Europe, there will be no diesel. A vehicle with a diesel engine in any guise or configuration is too difficult to sell world wide to be a proposition. Ultra low sulphur fuel is not universally available and particulate emissions regulations are set to become more onerous. Some US states effectively ban diesel cars.There is also user resistance to diesel fuel in several large markets.

You might JUST get a diesel hybrid from VAG or PSA but the Japanese have a clear lead at the moment and the Americans will throw "moon money" at it if and when they want to. My view is that despite the obvious advantages of such a vehicle, VAG and PSA won't go there if they've any sense.

A world market is the only one worth considering now. Politics always wins over engineering.

A diesel Electric powered car?.......... - oldtoffee

Peugeot announced a diesel hybrid last year, should be on sale this year.

Link to What Car article if the mods allow - tinyurl.com/6cfcy2k

A diesel Electric powered car?.......... - Sofa Spud

A diesel conversion of the Toyota Prius would be interesting - I mean keeping the hybrid synergy drive but replacing the petrol engine with a diesel of similar output. Would that see the 50-60 mpg of the standard Prius leap to 70-80 mpg?

Also a diesel conversion of the Chevrolet Volt would be exceptionally economical - but since the car is designed to do its first 40 miles or so on battery power before the engine kicks, so the savings from a diesel would only kick in on longer journeys.

Also, because in both these cars the engine is not connected by any mechanical drive to the road wheels and therefore engine speed is completely independent of vehicle speed, the engine can always operate at optimum revs. So I'd imagine that 3-cylinder diesels would be ideal - saving weight and complexity and cost.