Ford Focus - Noise on Initial gear change on automatic - wizz88

I realised when i had radio turned off, that on the 1st gear change in my car (from 1st to 2nd) there is a slight clunky noise , strangely this only happens on start up when i moved about 15 meters ish, and after that everything is normal... the noise does seem to be coming from the front end, havent pin pointed it but seems in front of pedals- this is my guess.

previously this car was a motability vehicle which had, hand controls for braking and accelerators which have been removed.

my car is a 2.0 petrol, focus automatic. on 2009 58 plate.

any advice will be appreciated as i am keen on getting this sorted before it escalates.

Ford Focus - Noise on Initial gear change on automatic - Lee1

The first thing to check is that there's sufficient automatic transmission fluid in the car. I have known even experienced mechanics who did not know how to check the ATF level. With all autos that I've had, the way to check is with the engine warm, handbrake on, move gear lever through the gears, a few times, check level is between the marks on the dipstick.

With that check done and a little top up made if necessary of the correct grade of ATF, eg Dexron 2 or 3 etc, you can at least rule that out as a cause.

Easiest thing ruled out first :o)

Ford Focus - Noise on Initial gear change on automatic - Lee1

When I say engine warm, I mean engine running but parked, also keep foot on footbrake aswell as handbrake on to be even safer when running through gears.

Ford Focus - Noise on Initial gear change on automatic - Raks

Hi,

I have exactly the same noise when I pull off initially after the start.

It really doesnt matter when the engine is warm or cold. I have notice the noise when drove for about 40 miles on the motorway,stopped at services for few mins and when I started the car and pull on, I heard the noise when the 1st gear shifted to 2nd.

So, I stopped the car and restart the car and tried again pulling off and heard the same noise again.

Not sure what is causing this but is this something to worry about? Mine is Zetec 1.6 a year old car.

Taking the car to dealer gives me goosebumbs... ;)

Any advice?

Regards,

Raks

Ford Focus - Noise on Initial gear change on automatic - piston power

Try a oil change and filter.