SEAT Leon Cupra - Opinions on MK 1 Seat Leon Cupra - Focus_Driver

I'm looking into getting a mk 1 Leon Cupra with the 1.8 20v, 180 bhp engine. Are there any downsides to this car? You can get them for under £2k. Overall, the car (and this particular engine) is rated quite highy overall. The main issue appears to be failing coil packs but since I'm buying a car with 100k miles can I assume they would have been fixed by now?

Other than that, and not having great fuel economy (30-35mpg) and highish insurance, which is offset by a low purchase price and good reliability plus I dont do high miles, would this car make a sensible buy? I currently have a focus 1.8 mk1 petrol which is brilliant but I fancy a change after a having a focus tdci previously.

SEAT Leon Cupra - Opinions on MK 1 Seat Leon Cupra - Big_Guy

Hi. I know that HJ recommends this car highly and even owned one. Read the review. Engine is well proven across a broad range of cars, and handling is apparently far superior to the lesser powered (150bhp) MK IV Golf GTI. I only have experience of this engine in a friends Ibiza Cupra 51 plate. It has never let him down despite being highly tuned. Just make sure you keep abit of money aside for repairs, and I would recommend a cambelt change after you have bought it.

SEAT Leon Cupra - Opinions on MK 1 Seat Leon Cupra - SteveLee

A friend of mine has had one from new, it has been reliable despite upgrading the ECU (with an Audi TT one giving 220bhp) when the car was a year old.

SEAT Leon Cupra - Opinions on MK 1 Seat Leon Cupra - Focus_Driver
I had a test drive of one. Ride very planted on the road, brilliant gear change and very powerful engine (compared to my focus). Did not buy it as could not agree on a price and px for my car.

Oddly, though it felt much faster than the focus i expected it to be faster for what it is. Probably had too high a expectation. I thought my focus was a good drive but this leon cupra was much better. May be something to do with it being the cupra set up. Not sure what ordinary leons are like which is a more fairer comparison.
SEAT Leon Cupra - Opinions on MK 1 Seat Leon Cupra - Neiltoo

I had one from new, about 2003/6 on lease.

Up till then my favourite car. HJ report was accurate. Replaced for further year with updated model - not as well equipped, but almost as good.

Next lease was SAAB 9 3 Aero cab which I liked so much, I bought after the lease.

For that price go for it!

SEAT Leon Cupra - Opinions on MK 1 Seat Leon Cupra - Neiltoo

BTW it eats front tyres!