VW Golf - Petrol Problems - maltrap

Filled up at my usual supermarket petrol station this morning. The first thing i noticed was how much longer it took, followed by the amount of fuel it dispensed (56 litres) The capacity of my cars tank is 55 liotres, and the low fuel warning light had not come on.I complained at the desk & was told that customers had complained the previous day & that the pump had beel inspected overnight & the calibration checked My complaint was logged & sent to head office. In 45 years of buying petrol i've never had occasion to think a petrol pump had overstated the quantity dispensed. Has anyone else had the same problem & what would be the best way to follow it up?

Thanks in anticipation of any advice.

VW Golf - Petrol Problems - Hamsafar

You should register it with the local Council's trading standards. They test them every so often and issue heavy fines if they are outside of the tolerance.

The gauges are so accurate they are set up so you always get 0.5% less than it says on the display which is the limit of the allowed tolerance, but this is quite a small error margin, unlike the larger margin you report.

Edited by Hamsafar on 19/02/2011 at 16:47

VW Golf - Petrol Problems - Collos25

0.5% is a lot of fuel over a year for the sellers 0.05% is more the tolerance allowed I would think..

VW Golf - Petrol Problems - Hamsafar

No, it's 1% over, 0.5% under.

and they don't give you any more than they need, that's one of the selling points from Gilbarco, Veeder Root et al.