Ford Galaxy Mk2 2001 2.3 Ghia manual petrol - Immobiliser problems - japdriver

My wife has a Mk2 Galaxy, 2.3 manual petrol, 73000 miles, which is driving her crazy due to a believed immobiliser issue. As follows:-

Put key in ignition, turn, all dash lights etc come on as normal, wait a couple of seconds and turn to start........normally it starts just fine....but then....sometimes it doesn't. Aaargh a an intermittent electrical type fault - nightmare!

On a random basis it just fails to start - key turns but no starter turns - the immobiliser light in the door flashes constantly (showing it has not read the key). Normally it just goes solid red and goes out when car starts. Sooo I have tried the spare key (no change still randomly does/doesn't work). New battery a few months ago - made no difference. Sometimes the car is fine for weeks, sometimes (this last few days) it has failed to start about 7 times.

Will eventually start - just turn car off, back on, back off for up to 10 minutes(eek!) until eventually the immobiliser stops flashing and it's off you go as normal.

Needless to say my wife is giving me grief about this, I am loathe to take it to the main dealer because I'm sure they will randomly change parts until they get lucky, and I'm not paying £95 an hour plus parts for them to experiment! Probably end up with a £1000 bill and no fix......that is my fear.

Sooo, can I disable the immobiliser - no one is going to want to nick our old Galaxy anyway? Has anyone any idea what could be causing this? Anyone with similar problems?

Help before my wife withdraws Valentines day treats.......;-)

Ford Galaxy Mk2 2001 2.3 Ghia manual petrol - Immobiliser problems - elekie&a/c doctor

Flashing immob light in the door is often caused by a faulty fuel injection/pump relay.Not uncommon on Galaxy/Sharan variants.It is located in the fuse/relay box to the right of steering.Unfortunately,the immobiliser system cannot be disabled on this car.hth

Thanks for the info - is there any way to test the relay other than just replacing it? Or is it such a cheap item that it's worth just changing it anyway?!

Regards

Mark

Ford Galaxy Mk2 2001 2.3 Ghia manual petrol - Immobiliser problems - elekie&a/c doctor

Cheap to replace.Around £20 ,from memory.hth

That's great, thanks for your help. I don't mind chancing £20 on a part if it has a hope of fixing the problem. Excellent advice, thank you.

Ford Galaxy Mk2 2001 2.3 Ghia manual petrol - Immobiliser problems - choufleur

Did you change the relay and did it solve your problem?

We have a similar but different problem with our ancient Galaxy: On a random basis the red flashing door light doesn't go out when you try to start the car. It does however turn the starter but doesn't catch at all.

Anyone got any ideas?

I have changed the relay 30 in my Galaxy now, and all has been well for 4 weeks! Until yesterday, and the damn same problem has started again. aaarrrrggghhhhh! Heeeeeelp! What else that could be causing this?

Ps - I followed this guide for changing it, simple to follow (much easier to do than I thought it would be!)

Relay 30 Replacement - Ford Galaxy Owners Club

ATB

Mark

Ford Galaxy Mk2 2001 2.3 Ghia manual petrol - Immobiliser problems - WHY ME

I have changed the relay 30 in my Galaxy now, and all has been well for 4 weeks! Until yesterday, and the damn same problem has started again. aaarrrrggghhhhh! Heeeeeelp! What else that could be causing this?

Ps - I followed this guide for changing it, simple to follow (much easier to do than I thought it would be!)

Relay 30 Replacement - Ford Galaxy Owners Club

ATB

Mark

Hi mark

I have got the same problem on my wifes car its an absolute nightmare especially on the school runs. If you managed to resolve this problem I would be extremly grateful if you could help.

Ford Galaxy Mk2 2001 2.3 Ghia manual petrol - Immobiliser problems - save_all
I just had my 99 2.3 galaxy cut out on me while drivin up the motorway, pulled over and failed to start with the immobiliser light flashing. RAC came out to me and managed to get it started by putting a short in from the battery live to the air flow meter. Apparently by passing the said faulty relay. I don't know if you could leave the short in safely to overcome the problem in the long term.

Just to note In the last few weeks I have had trouble starting and a slight judder when drivin as if it was cutting and coming straight back in, tho before it cut out I'd driven 500 miles without a glitch