Ford Mondeo Mk IV 2009 2.0 tdci 140 - Engine operating temperature - Simpo

Hi all

I am after some advice. I have recently purchased the vehicle and have discovered that the temperature gauge never reaches what I would consider to be normal operating temperature. The needle only reaches about 1/3 of the way up gauge - that is despite sitting in traffic for hours at a time, so I assume that this is a problem with overcooling although i am yet to hear the cooling fan cut in. Other than this the car runs perfectly and we are being provided with plenty of heat from the climate control system. (I have tried switching off the climate control and still have the same problem, so it doesnt seem to be this that is affecting the temperature).

I understand that this was a problem with the previous model mondeo, but hadn't heard of anyone with the same problem on the latest model.

Can anybody with the same car comment on whether their car is doing the same or suggest a potential problem/remedy?

Thanks

Simpo

Ford Mondeo Mk IV 2009 2.0 tdci 140 - Engine operating temperature - Peter.N.

The thermostat is what ultimately determines the running temperature but if the temperature gauge reading is fairly constant its obviously operating correctly especially if the output from the heater is good. It could be that the gauge is under reading. The temperature is not that critical as long as it gets hot enough, which yours sounds as though it does. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by Peter.N. on 14/02/2011 at 12:45

Ford Mondeo Mk IV 2009 2.0 tdci 140 - Engine operating temperature - Peter D

Slip a piece of cardboard covering 3/4 of the radiator and go for a run, Does the gauge still only rise to 1/3. Or establish if your local gagage has an Infared thermal gun and get them the measure the temp for you. Regards Peter

Ford Mondeo Mk IV 2009 2.0 tdci 140 - Engine operating temperature - craig-pd130
On my 2008 TDCI 140 Mondeo, the temp gauge sits at just under the 90 C / mid-way mark. I've never seen it above this, even when being thrashed or sitting in heavy summer traffic.

It does take 5 miles to reach this on cool days, and if the car is under light loads the needle will drop to mid-way between the 70C and 90C marking.

Thanks all for your feedback

I am aware that modern cars are far more efficient than older cars. My previous car a 2002 tdci 130 mondeo certainly took a long time to warm up. The new car seems to warm far more quickly than the old model so i assume that there is a new system on these to allow the car to generate heat more quickly. Will certainly be useful on colder mornings!!!

Peter N, yes the gauge is constant, increases gradually to the 1/3rd mark and then sticks there.

It will be interesting to try blanking off part of the radiator to see if it has any effect. Were the cooling fan to kick in before the gauge indicated reading above normal suggest a problem with the thermostat?

Simpo

Ford Mondeo Mk IV 2009 2.0 tdci 140 - Engine operating temperature - dieselnut

If it's the same as earlier Mondeo TDCI it has 2 stats, one for the main engine cooling & one for the oil cooler.

Seems it's the oil cooler one that often fails open & overcools the engine.

Craig

Out of interest how do you find your car and in particular the gearchange? I find the box lovely and smooth apart from going into second, from either 1st or 3rd it appears notchy, whilst all others are sweet and accurate.

I am going to take it in to be looked at, but wondered if it was a common problem.

Otherwise i am very impressed with the car.

Simpo

Ford Mondeo Mk IV 2009 2.0 tdci 140 - Engine operating temperature - craig-pd130
@ Simpo -- I like the car overall, I did a detailed review of nearly 3 years ownership in the "Owners Reviews" section of the site which summarises my impressions.

The gearchange on mine is good, never had a problem with it. The change mechanism is cable-operated, I believe, so I think adjustment is possible.

My feeling is that the car's biggest failing is slapdash assembly-line work, especially under the bonnet. On mine, I found vacuum hoses and intercooler pipes that were not fitted snugly and correctly, and correcting these made a BIG difference to driveability.

@craig-pd130 I have just read your review and it makes interesting reading. I have to say in the 1200 or so miles i have done I would agree with your findings. Mine has the optional (I think) 17" wheels which wouldnt have been my choice (but i got a good price) and i feel crashes a little more through potholes than it would on 16"s.

Car is booked in for garage to have a look at the gearchange into 2nd and I will ask them about the temperature gauage reading and to check all hoses etc. when its in. The guy i spoke to did say that it was a cable operated mechanism and should be able to be adjusted. I will report back on what they find.

Thanks for the info.

Simpo