Ford Fiesta - Fix piston rings or new engine - chris11

I have had a diagnosis of a broken piston ring on one cylinder of my 2002 Ford Fiesta mk6 with a mileage of 52000. I have been advised by the garage that they recommend replacing the piston rings at a cost of 1000 GBP (600 labour, 400 parts). This is assuming the cylinder hole has not been damaged. Firstly what is likelihood of the cylinder hole being damaged from the piston ring breakage and how much would it typically cost to get this resolved? Could you also advise as to whether you consider this the best course of action or would you recommend replacing the engine with a reconditioned one? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ford Fiesta - Fix piston rings or new engine - Collos25

It depends on the condition of the car and how much value you put on it.You do not say what size the engine is but I would tend to put a secondhand engine in it if I decided to keep it.and I could not do itmyself.There are plenty on ebay Item number: 260730508904 just to give you am idea on price.

Ford Fiesta - Fix piston rings or new engine - Collos25

It depends on the condition of the car and how much value you put on it.You do not say what size the engine is but I would tend to put a secondhand engine in it if I decided to keep it.and I could not do itmyself.There are plenty on ebay Item number: 260730508904 just to give you am idea on price.

Ford Fiesta - Fix piston rings or new engine - Peter.N.

If they are only broken on one cylinder that sounds like a mechanical failure rather than wear, I would be inclined to just replace the piston in that cylinder, or at least investigate it. If its not do-able fit a secondhand engine.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FIESTA-KA-1-3-HCS-ENDURA-ENGINE-1995-2002-/350436338180?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5197a22a04

I assume its petrol but there should be some diesels on there too.

Ford Fiesta - Fix piston rings or new engine - Peter.N.

Sorry, you posted at exactly the same time as me

Ford Fiesta - Fix piston rings or new engine - unthrottled
Piston ring failure seldom occurs spontaneously. I'd be reluctant to have the engine rebuilt without curing the problem that caused the ring to go. Was it overheating, oil starvation etc? If thecause of failure can be isolated and cured, there is a case to be made for 'better the devil you know'. Otherwise, a replacement engine is probably aboutthe same price-and an attractive option.
Ford Fiesta - Fix piston rings or new engine - galileo

Is it not the case that on some Ford engines you are not supposed to remove and refit big end caps, as the conrods are the sintered type which are 'broken' at the big end in manufacture?

If it is one of these engines then piston rings can't be replaced anyway, a short engine is needed, to follow the proper Ford route, or has this advice been changed now?

Ford Fiesta - Fix piston rings or new engine - unthrottled

Good point. That's certainly the case for the zetec engines.

Ford Fiesta - Fix piston rings or new engine - chris11

we only noticed the problem when we stopped after a 3 hour drive on the motorway and smoke began bellowing out of the oil filler cap. The car didn't overheat, lose water or significant oil. The car was 3 months over its service and hadn't been used for a few weeks during the cold snap prior to christmas.The engine is a 1.4 petrol duratec 16v.Thanks for the advice!

Ford Fiesta - Fix piston rings or new engine - track

Swap the engine, its basically a zetec motor rebadged with different manifolds. the have a habit of gaining end float in the crankshaft. this kind of movement can almost certainly cause major piston faults. Ypou shouldnt have any problems picking up a decent second hand motor and a competent mechanic will swap it in a day.