volvo s60 d5 s - Cicking noise from the front wheel on pull away - bodine

Hi all i have just got a volvo s60 d5 s on a 04 plate only 66000 on the clock

When i pull away in reverse or forward i can hear a click from the near side front wheel and then it stops untill i pull away again any one know what this could be ??

any help would be nice

thanks

volvo s60 d5 s - Cicking noise from the front wheel on pull away - injection doc
Have you checked that the wheel bolts are tight ? Next if you put the car on full lock in a car park and pull away is the clicking worse ? If it is it may point towards CV jonts worn ! If it is are u sure the mileage is genuine ? I also seem to remember engine mounts are weak on D5 engine, so may be worth an inspection

Edited by injection doc on 06/02/2011 at 18:01

Hi it gets no worse on full lock the car has full service history and the mileage adds up to the paper work the car looks brand new in side and out so i belive the mileage is correct it just clicks once and stops i dont sound like a CV joint to me

volvo s60 d5 s - Cicking noise from the front wheel on pull away - Peter D

Wheel bolts, drive shaft centre bolt come loose or a brake pad in clunking in the caliper. Reverse the car stop the car on the foot brake then drive forward, and repeat this, does it clunk each time. Regards Peter

Hi pete yes that is when it dose it go back and stop go forward and it clicks go forward stop then go back it clicks it not a heavy knock it more or a click

thanks

volvo s60 d5 s - Cicking noise from the front wheel on pull away - Peter D

Check the drive shaft bolt. If that is OK I suspect after market brake pads and the noise is the pad clunking in the calliper. Does it clunk repeatedly every time you stop then move forward. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 06/02/2011 at 21:14

Hi peter yes every time from stop till forward or back i di say to my wife it may be the pads but it onlt from 1 side .thank you for ur advise i will check the drive shaft bolt

thank u again

volvo s60 d5 s - Cicking noise from the front wheel on pull away - injection doc
if its one clunck forward or back it sounds like a pad issue, most likley aftermarket pads, but check caliper for tightness
volvo s60 d5 s - Cicking noise from the front wheel on pull away - sirricardo

Hey Mate,

I have the same problem on mine at 80K miles.

It doesn't do it in the morning (maybe when they are cold) so the brake pad theory is worth a look although mine were replaced at a volvo garage.

Did you find out what it was?

Cheers, Rich.

I have for some time been looking it to this clicking and have at last found the problem it is the lower ball joint is loose and this allows the drive sharft to move in and out witch is making the clicking sound also will give uneven tyre wear .

may be worth a try just cheak u cant turn the nut on the end my one i could turn with my fingers and the hole thing spun.

hope it helps

volvo s60 d5 s - Cicking noise from the front wheel on pull away - jonny10buds
I had a Chrysler that did the same thing after about 70000 miles, the click was some movement in the CV joint when exerting load in the opposite direction, ie going backwards after going forward or going forward after going backwards, the noise never got any worse and I learned to live with it.