Nissan Micra K10 - What should I do? - spiggy
I have a 1991 1.2 Nissan Micra, it's done about 56,000 miles and has been a good car, until recently. Over the past 4 months the head gasket has gone twice and as you can imagine that's cost me quite a bit. Just before Christmas it died again and the garage have told me it's now in such a bad state they are looking for a second hand engine to put in it. They have told me this will cost me about £450. So, my question is: is it worth paying more to keep it going; if I do get it fixed, will it be worth £450 if I part ex it, or should I cut my losses, scrap it and buy a new-ish second hand car?
Nissan Micra K10 - What should I do? - Victorbox

If you can stretch to a new car rather than new'ish and if the Micra is road legal it's worth £2,000 - £3,000 under the swappage schemes many dealers are running now.

I didn't know places were still doing scrappage schemes. I will investigate, because I only want a small runabout and probably could just about manage a new one. Thanks.
Nissan Micra K10 - What should I do? - bathtub tom

Swappage means we'll give what sounds like an enormous sum of money for your old heap, but you'll have to pay full price (and we'll expect you to take our finance at an eye-watering interest rate).

You K10's worth whatever the scrappy will give you for it. Take the fifty quid you'll get for it and go and negotiate for a new motor.

Nissan Micra K10 - What should I do? - Doc

If you can stretch to a new car rather than new'ish and if the Micra is road legal it's worth £2,000 - £3,000 under the swappage schemes many dealers are running now.

Remember, the current schemes are "swappage" not scrappage, so the dealer will require the car to be in full working order with MOT: suitable for him to re-sale.

Thanks both, I looked into the scrappage/swappage schemes and they don’t look all that attractive. Taking the £50 for scrap might be the way to go.

Nissan Micra K10 - What should I do? - madf

You may get more on ebay.
Nissan Micra K10 - What should I do? - 1066
some of these new small cars like pandas etc seem good value but only you can decide whether you want to spend that much but i wouldnt be spending money on another engine for your micra as at that age it could be non stop repairs. only you know whether you can afford the gamble
It's already become none stop repairs over the last 6 months. I'm thinking you could be right, maybe a yaris or peugeot 107? Whatever, it's looking like the best thing is get rid of the old banger :-)