vw golf 1.9 sdi 1999 - loss of power - rrvfireblade

bought a vw golf 1.9 sdi only a few days ago and driving round the doors it pulls like a train,however,take it over 50mph and it just does not want to know and speed drops to about 40mph even with foot to the floor,ive read a lot of the posts on here but dont seem to be able to find any problems relating to the sdi,,being an sdi i have no turbo so no problems there and i have just found out today that it has no MAF meter neither which is what most are sayin the solution is to TDI s...having just bought the car i dont know its history but will be giving it a full service on monday to see if that helps,just wondered if anyone has any other ideas incase the service does not help?? cos although i cant be certain it looks like the fuel filter has not long been changed and the air filter isnt that bad but for what they cost im going to change anyway,think someone has had ago at fixing with the new filters and passed it on to me,unfortunately for me i didnt test drive on motorway,but then why would you lol.

vw golf 1.9 sdi 1999 - loss of power - Peter.N.

Has the fuel filter been changed recently? If not that could be the cause, sounds as though the fuel supply is being restricted. Does it smoke when the power drops off - that would indicate a restriction in the air supply

hi peter,like i said in previous message just got the car a few days ago and dont know the history,but looks like it has a new filter,although looks can be deceiving saying as they are nearly all bare metal in looks and it looks spotless even on the top where its black,not even any signs of dust on the top,also the pipe for the rear washer was left off at the bottle end ,probably disturbed when renewing filter,i realise this could have all happened some time ago and for the cost of it im giving it a full service on monday anyway,just didnt want to do all that on monday and be no further forward so i thought id post now in the hope of some alternative answers over the weekend just incase. as ive read there could be a lot of different faults that could cause this,,,,ive never noticed any smoke on acceleration as such or when the power drops apart from on 1st start up in mornings,and although im no mechanic just thought that would be normal for a car with 124000 on the clock as well as being a diesel,what would cause the restriction in the air supply if there is one and where is it likely to be??and ive read that it could be a dodgy fuel pump relay,is that a possibility?? thanks for the quick reply anyway peter and if i dont hear of any further suggestions before monday will let you know how it goes after the service,cheers carl.

vw golf 1.9 sdi 1999 - loss of power - TYRE MAN

them sdi's have always known to be sluggish . but some times it could help to get the throttle body changed (common fault ) and get the injectors checked . try some injector cleaner or get diagnostic kit on it - few options for you there

vw golf 1.9 sdi 1999 - loss of power - Peter.N.

Being non turbo most of the grunt will be at low speed, maximum torque will come up at about 2000 rpm and will steadily drop off after that, so you need to keep in a gear that will maintain 2000-2500 rpm. If you are familier with diesels you will know this but if you have been used to a petrol engine the driving style is very different, you need to keep in the highest possible gear all the time, high revs will lead to a lack of pulling power and increased fuel consumption. Turbo models have similiar characteristics but a lot more power.

vw golf 1.9 sdi 1999 - loss of power - Big John

Sound like fuel starvation or air leak of some sort. Despite the new looking fuel filter I would start there - there is a reasonable chance this has been incorrectly fitted. Could the fault have been introduced during filter changes rather than the filters being changed to fix it?

The SDI is a simple engine with nothing too complicated and should do starship mileage (if properly serviced – regular oil, cambelts/water pumps and change injectors at 100k to stop bore wash)with no major problems. It has a good old fashioned mechanical diesel injector distributor pump. I.E. Not much in the way of sensors/electronics to get in the way. Shouldn't be too difficult to sort. Worse case scenario - cream crackered diesel injector pump.

Nothing to do with the fault(maybe?) – make sure the cam belt has been changed. If it is due replace the water pump and refresh the antifreeze at the same time. Water Pumps do fail on this engine and as well as lunching the engine can play havoc with the diesel timing before it fails. Had some bizarre symptoms with an Ibiza 1.9sdi with this. No water leak but very slight rattle (on top of the usual sdi castanets!) but engine performance was all over the place - on removal of the cam belt cover the water-pump sprocket was “waggling around” which was affecting diesel timing. Turned the engine off (quickly!!!) and towed car to a garage for cambelt / water pump change – lucky escape!!!

hi again guys and thanks for all the answers,changed the fuel and air filter today and although i havent give it a test run on the motorway or at any speed i think id be wasting my time as i have air coming through the clear fuel pipe all the time,unlike my old saxo 1.5 diesel this dont seem to have the hand pump to get rid of the air so any suggestions as to the best way to bleed it or is it just a case of slackening the bolts at the injectors and doing it that way,and if so do i do them one at a time or all at once??? if one at a time is there any sequence i should do it in??? ie from number one piston moving along or from the other end where the fuel is first delivered??common sense would tell me the fuel end if its one at a time,or if anyone has a less messy suggestion would be grateful,cheers carl.

There is no pump, it should bleed itself. Go ahead give it a good run, if you have still got air in the system then you have a leak and you may have found the base problem. The sdi has a very simple injection system!

thanks for the quick reply john,ok..... took it for a spin down the dual carriageway which is a slight downhill all the way for about 2 mile and managed to get her up to 70 and started doing it again,turned round the roundabout and started heading back home taking it easy as this time im going slightly uphill all the way and did a steady 60 and it never did it once,so thought ok maybe its cleared itself,spun her round and gave it another go this time reaching 75 with foot flat to the floor,(i know these engines are the least powerful of the 1.9 diesel but surely should go faster than that downhill with foot to floor lol?)....anyway this time she started losing power worse than shes ever done and nearly ground to a halt when a puff of white smoke billowed out the back,,so eased right off the gas as was nearly at r/bout anyway,took it steady again and never went above or below 60 all the way back,bearing in mind im going up slight hill also and never did it once??going back to one of peters replys earlier he asked me if it smoked when it did it and i said no,thats the first time its ever smoked and was only for a split second and it does not smoke at all any other time since ive had it (bout a week now) does not lose oil at all either.anyway,...peter stated it could be lack of air or air restriction,if it is an air restriction where is it likey to be??or could the timing on the pump be out? or would that not cause this problem?cheers guys.

vw golf 1.9 sdi 1999 - loss of power - dieselnut

I think you have already found the problem ie air in the fuel.

When Big John says there is no pump I think he means there is no IN TANK PUMP but just the transfer pump inside the engine mounted injection pump.

Therefore the fuel pipe from the injection pump back to the tank is constantly under negative pressure when the engine is running.

Any slight leak in the pipe, or at any joint, or the fuel filter will therefore drawer in air.

You will need to add some clear pipe further back down the fuel pipe to find where the air is coming from.

Try immediately before the fuel filter first.

thanks for that dieselnut,and big john may correct me but i think he was referring to my question about there being no egg shaped hand pump to get rid of any air in the system and bleed it like i used to have on my old 1.5 saxo,,,anyway..on fitting the fuel filter yesterday i noted that the haynes manual recommended doing away with the old crimp style clamps and fitting worm drive ones,unfortunately i only had one left in my tin at the time so im going to get those done first to eliminate any air getting in there,,checked all hoses at the filter and no breakages there ....one thing i did notice and dont know if this would affect it but when i lifted the control valve out(with pipes still attached) the top part seperated from the small valve inside,after prising the bottom half of it out of the hole i replaced the 2 rubber seals with new ones and on refitting it it was leaking diesel from there,,, so i took it back out incase new seals were different for some reason and put the old ones back on and on refitting it it didnt leak at all,should the two parts have separated in the 1st place and should i get a new one just to make sure,or would that side of the fuel lines not affect it as its for separating any water from the system??one last thing before i go out and do the clamps and eliminate that problem,,,im led to believe via haynes that there is no breather pipe on the diesel tanks therefore eliminating any problems with blockages on the breather,,,can anyone confirm that? cheers carl.

Carl, sorry for the confusion re the pump.

I don't think the T piece should be in 2 parts, but i'm not familiar with the Sdi engine.

The T piece is a common source of air leaks, It has 2 O rings, black & blue but can't remember which is the top one, use some engine oil on them so they slide in easily.

Some VW filters are made in China & not good quality.

I would get a new T piece & new Mann Humele filter.

Also worm type clips can sometimes crimp the pipe & let air in, use the ones with a continuous metal band around specifically for fuel pipes.

well after glueing the T piece back together again today as i didnt have £22 for a new one from vw and my motor factors didnt sell them, i then fitted radiator hose style clamps to all the fuel hoses and im very happy to report that i took her down the motorway today at 80 mph and she didnt bat an eyelid,,,id like to thank everyone that took the time out to reply even if the answer was in my trusty haynes manual that recommends changing the old crimp style fittings....what is worrying to me is that i have lost count of all the forums ive been on relating to this and even though most posts relate to the TDIs as its a more common engine than mine they could surely have the same problem?or could they?and although lots of people have stated its probably air in the system not once did i read that it could be something as simple as the old style crimp fittings,,,my motor has 124000 miles on the clock and id like to think its gone through at least 10 filters in its time yet it still had the old style fittings on,,,maybe even from when the car was new which wouldnt suprise me,,,,(ive had the car a week by the way so not my doing lol),,,oh and im not slagging people off on here who take time out to answer people free of charge even if it seems that way as they have given me correct answers ie air getting in the system,,,what worries me more than anything and what im trying to get at is that ive also lost count of garages that have fitted new maf sensors for people on these forums and in some cases even new turbos at a huge cost and it hasnt cured the problem,id hate to think this has all taken place for the sake of four clamps??? and im led to believe that even though the maf sensor apparently does not show up on a diagnostic unless its totally naffed its the most common answer from a mechanic or garage as to the solution in the first off,even though im not a mechanic and dont pretend to be i was always taught to start at the cheapest solution and work your way up.....turbo being the last unless obviously trashed,,,and it certainly wouldnt be the maf at anything from £50 to £130 either from what ive learnt on here,,,even if it is a common fault on the golf,anyway,,thanks again to all the guys who replied to me and i will be doing my best to return the favour even with my limited knowledge,,,as the saying goes two heads think better than one and 100s of heads most certainly do,,ive worked on my own motors for the last 30 yrs so im not a total loss lol,, im just not familiar with the diesel engine as this is only my 3rd one,the other 2 were saxos and i never had to lift a finger to fix them as they never went wrong,,just a shame they eat driveshafts lol and are prone to rotting near the wishbones, as does the peugeot 106 but then its virtually the same car in all aspects,,,anyway if i can help i guarantee i will do and cheers again lads,,,,,carl.

Pleased that you got it sorted Carl. Keep an eye on the T piece as some glues will deteriorate when exposed to fuel.

By the way, I noticed your tag - rrvfireblade, are you a biker, I have a BMW K1200R to keep me sane LOL.

yeh i hear what your saying dieselnut,,,,and whats your name i cant keep calling you that lol,,,or can i?think i will just be buying a new one when funds allow or if im in a scrappy pick one up hopefully,,,oh and thanks for the advice about the filters but id already bought all coopers filters when you posted,,,to be honest mate i wouldnt buy anything from vw anyway unless it was a dealer part but i was told by someone that they actually use mann filters,i nearly bought a full set of them off ebay for £30 including postage which i thought was really good price but just couldnt wait for postage as i was pretty desperate to get to newcastle this weekend to see my kids (live in glasgow now) and yes i also have a bike to keep me sane lol,,trusty old rrv blade as the tag suggests with nearly 50,000 on the clock that has never let me down apart from the regulator going once but i still got home,,but then like my cars i do look after her,,more so than the cars if im honest lol,,i didnt pass my test till 20s and only had 3 bikes,1st being a kwaka gpz 500s which got knicked and then went onto the cbr 600 which at the time was spose to be idiot proof with regards to throwing it about lol,,and as i was still a novice thought id go for it,,i had a gap of a few yrs cos i just couldnt afford bike as well and running my own business but eventually got the blade and never looked back,,think ive had her bout 9 yr now with only 8000 on the clock when i got her,shes due her mot in march but needs head bearings doing which im contemplating doing myself because of funds and while im on changing the fork oil,mines the red white and blue model and for my last birthday the kids clubbed together and got me my wheels powder coated in candy apple red and i have to admit she looks really nice and they did a good job for only £80....i say good job they didnt mask the ends where the bearings go and they wouldnt fit in cos of paint and being alloy i didnt dare take a drill and wire brush to them so had to hand ball with wet and dry to get rid of it,,,,my b***** fingers were numb lol,couldve killed them,but was so happy with the paintwork itself i just carried on,,,,well if you have a bmw no doubt it is far more reliable than any of your cars lol,,cant knock most bmw engines on bikes just as you cant bmw cars if looked after,will go on and on after most bikes and cars have chucked it as im sure you well know,,,,well thats me book written for today lol,,,see if you meet me im a really quite bloke and hard to get 2 words out of at the best of times but get me on this b***** thing and i can type for england lol,well this golfs due its mot in few weeks and handbrakes not holding on one side so im off to try and sort that,will let you know how i get on and catch up with you later DIESELNUT....i hate typing that sounds like im being offensive lol,,,later mate .....carl.

Hi Carl, & as you ask, the name is Philip.

I too am pretty quiet but quite enjoy being to help people on here when I think i can contribute something usefull.

Coopers are good filters I think. My local factors only stocks Mann & i've only ever heard good reports about their products & at £3 for an oil filter, can't go wrong.

I took early retirement from my Data Networks job last year & although I have never been in the motor trade, iv'e always maintained my own & families vehicles, mainly for my own peace of mind knowing the job has been done properly & of course cost.

The internet & this web site has been great, allowing information & knowledge to be shared so easily.

I've had bikes since 17 yers old, although I had to give up during the family years due to lack of funds, as bikes are really just a fun pastime for most.

Got back into bikes around '92 with a Honda RS125 for a years club racing, then on the road with an old Honda VF1000R, Suzuki TL1000, BMW GS1200 then K1200R, the first of which I managed to write off on some spilt diesel.

So now i've got another K1200R for the road & a GSXR1000 for the odd track day.

BMW's arn't finished nearly as good as their reputation would have you belive. Mine is not yet 3 years old & has some corrosion starting on fastners, & paint on the cylinder head is lifting at the edges, a poor show, although not helped by the previous owner using a jet wash. The engine though is good, but fueling isn't 100% at very light throttle, a common problem.

When you change the head bearings on the Fireblade make sure you get roller bearing replacements.

Hope your handbrake problem is just a sticking cable or pads.

Best regards, Philip.

hi again phil,must be nice to have a gixer just for track days lol,,,ive never really had the urge to change my bike i like it so much and like i said has never let me down,must admit i have a thing for the gixer though ,i also love the old colours on mine as much as id like a newer blade,,even thought about going back to the cbr 6 now that they have a lot more power,,,,anyway,,the handbrake was just sticking at the back wheel the little metal plate on the spring was stuck solid where attached at the back of the housing,someone had adjusted inside the car but because they hadnt fixed the root of the problem the cable puller was totally to one side so just working the left side,some people amaze me for the sake of a bit dw40 and then a bit grease lol,,anyway fixed now at no extra cost thank god

Nice one for solving the issue. The bubbles were a big clue.

I Sorry if I wasn't clear about the lack of a "priming" pump. As already mentioned you have a good old fashioned cambelt driven combined distributer/pump. The SDI engine may not be fast but if looked after they will run and run (don't forget those injectors, cambelt, water pump, antifreeze change and regular oil change - does not need the expensive gold plated oil).

I wish you could still buy cars with this arrangements. Unreliable electronic piezo injectors, common rail and dpf technologies worry me.

John..

i hear what your saying john,some changes are for the better but think they rely too much on electronics these days,,and half the time you get a diagnostic and it still dont solve the problem or give you the right diagnosis,,,and charge you the earth to boot,,oh and id already changed the oil by the way just got some 5/40 diesel oil,,wasnt gonna spend £36 on the long life stuff with 124000 miles on the clock lol as much as i look after my cars,,,as for the cambelt ive never changed one even though i like to do all my own work on my vehicles,,ive changed over full engines and gearboxes before in the past so im no slouch with a spanner lol,give me a haynes manual and im off,,the internals of an engine ie the bottom end anyway is the only thing i wont tackle as ive done a head a on an old 7 series i had before and it worked afterwards lol,,,,anyway,,,because of the possible consequences as you well know im thinking of handing the cam belt to a garage as if i do get it wrong i just havent got the money to fix if my engine goes pop as im out of work at the moment,,,,i can just about afford the £300 all in thats £250 plus the vat the bloke has quoted me who is independent and specializes in audi and vw,,,and as he has told me he only uses vw parts with regards to the cam belt and all the pulleys including doing the water pump i didnt think that was a bad price,,,,he will obviously be getting his parts cheaper than me but the cheapest ive seen a genuine vw kit on ebay is £140 with postage,,,then say another £25 for the pump,,,,and saying as he is doing the pump he is no doubt having to change the water and therefore changing the antifreeze,,,,another £10,,,so as good as i am with a spanner i dont know if i wanna risk it for the sake of £125 lol,i know you can buy kits a lot cheaper than that but id rather buy something decent for such an important job unless you advise me otherwise,,,,cheers carl.

Sounds like a reasonable price from the independent garage. It can be a pig of a job if you do it yourself without the correct tools - you can easily upset a lot of things including diesel timing. Double check the antifreeze is to be changed at the same time as the water pump - they would probably do this as the old stuff has to be drained anyway. Doing this helps reduce internal corrosion and protects the cylinder head gasket.

John..

Edited by Big John on 28/01/2011 at 21:58

vw golf 1.9 sdi 1999 - loss of power - pilotichegente
Hi Guys!! Thanks for this thread. My wife's car has just started to do this. We're up in Yorkshire and have a 3 hour drive back to Milton Keynes and it won't go faster than 60mph tops! I would like to try and fix this myself could you please provide me with more info as to where the parts are located in the engine bay and where I can buy them also. Also it is a 2003 1.9 SDI are these the same engines? Thanks, Ant.
FInd the Fuel filter and follow the pipes!!

Might be worth changing the fuel filter as well.

As far as I am aware the 1.9sdi kept similar technology until the end of its production - Bosch distributor injection pump rather than PD. Very simple and capable of very high mileages(with regular oil/coolant/cambelt changes + new injectors at about 100k). There isn't much to the injection system so unless there is something fundemantally wrong with the engine or distributor pump then either an air leak or blocked fuel filter will be the likely cause.

Sorry,

Forgot to mention, whilst standing in front of the car with bonnet up Fuel filter "should- things change!!" be on the left hand side adjacent to the coolant expasnion tank and have four pipes connected to it.

vw golf 1.9 sdi 1999 - loss of power & surging - IvorSmallFaucet

Gentlemen, may I butt in with the same problem on a 1997 1.9 naturally asperated VW Polo diesel.

My diesel (everytime I park the car I have to make a hard right curve - nearly full circle on almost tickover rev's) everytime I do this the engine surges and the rev's go up to about 2000.

Apart from that, the same seems to happen when i'm driving, I can feel the engine beginning to slow and choke off - then there's a surge of power that I have to govern with the foot brake.

I changed the fuel filter recently, the 4 pipe one with the plastic clamped in 'duffer' on the top (should this have a rubber washer under it - so as to maintain vaccum or because mine didn't have one ???)

I have made one minor change to the motor in that the air filter box clamps were so corroded that to open the box - in order to change the filter would have spelled the end of the clamps - so I removed the air intake from the filter box and connected a cone filter instead - this gave the engine access to air, seemed to give me a few horse power more but made the engine louder (in my opinion).

Your assistance please !

IvorSmallFaucet

'Bad Spellers of the world UNTIE !!!'

vw golf 1.9 sdi 1999 - loss of power & surging - Crasher

The engines computer will increase the fuelling if it feels it is going to stall so that may be what you are experiencing. Ivan, my solution for my appalling spelling is to write the post in Word and then cut and paste.

vw golf 1.9 sdi 1999 - loss of power - valvebounce

Hi,I have a 1999 sdi golf which runs great,I noticed in an earlier post that they don't have a MAF sensor.I have recently purchased a chip that is supposed to fit at the MAF sensor.

It is supposed to give more bhp and torque,and has two fitting wires.My question is--can the chip be fitted elsewhere in the system,and if so,where?

The system is controlled by its own computer,this chip apparently upgrades it.

I am after getting better mpg and a little more torque on hills as I tow a boat and sometimes a trailer.

Hi,

As far as I remember the 1.9 sdi has a mechanical diesel pump/distributer/injection - no electronics except for the on/off/immobiliser solenoid.