Peugeot 306 (2000) - Wipers suddenly slow. Help! - gavmoffat

Hi all

My once beloved 306 is now becoming the bane of my life. I drove the 30 mile commute today, in torrential rain for most of it, and my wipers worked fine. After stopping at a garage and setting on my way again, they started operating VERY slowly, and still were when I left the car.

I'm lucky the rain had stopped by this time, but am now terrified it will be a big job to rectify this. I just replaced the blades the other day, and during the cold snap the wipers often wouldn't work until I'd had the engine running for about 15 minutes, not sure if either are linked to my current problem. It looks like something needs fixed definitely, but not sure what.

Peugeot 306 (2000) - Wipers suddenly slow. Help! - Peter.N.

The most likely cause is a faulty motor, not to difficult to change on most cars. You may have low battery voltage but I would have thought you would have noticed that on the lights, check across the battery terminals with the engine running, you should have 14+ volts

Peugeot 306 (2000) - Wipers suddenly slow. Help! - Peter D

Check and lubricate the drive shafts under the wipre arms and the linkages unber the facia. Many people have damaged there wiper motors by turning them on when they are frozen to the screen and overheated the motor. However do all the other checks first. Regards Peter

Peugeot 306 (2000) - Wipers suddenly slow. Help! - gavmoffat

Thanks gents

I'm a pretty new driver so not sure what all this means! Is it best to get a Hayes manual and toolkit and go for it alone, or just give to a garage? I'm fairly sure I'll get ripped off doing the latter but I find the first prospect a bit daunting.

It's peculiar that the wipers just did this so suddenly, so my gut feeling is dodgy electrics of some sort. It might just be resistance in the blades thopugh as it had gotten dry by the time they slowed down. I'll move the wipers from the screen and check how quickly they go.

Peugeot 306 (2000) - Wipers suddenly slow. Help! - Peter.N.

A Haynes manual will probably be a lot cheaper!

Peugeot 306 (2000) - Wipers suddenly slow. Help! - FP

Almost certainly a failed or failing wiper motor assembly - a known issue with this model, with various odd symptoms.