Wow - Motorway Cops Tuesday eve - injection doc

What a stirling job they were doing! Artic Driver nearly 3 times over the limit! how many could he of killed ! HGV driver without a licence ! I take my hat off to PC Angus Mcnairn, he has a nose for the job. Interesting that the driver without a licence had been to the VOSA check point before but no one had picked up that he didn't have a licence ! May be VOSA need more access to more info ?

As for the Vito van driver I would of followed at a distance and rung his phone to see if he answered again, what a smug whatsit, never even paid the fine & got let off. He knew exactly what he was doing

I must admit I don't normally admire cops but Angus has one serious nose for the job, helps being ex HGV driver wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him as he doesn't miss a trick. May be we need more of the same to swarm the Dover area.

As for the dazed Rigid driver he was "more than lucky" hope he bought a lottery ticket

Wow - Motorway Cops Tuesday eve - ablandy

I found the scene with the young lad and the baseball bat amusing. When asked why he had it in the car, to reply "self defence" was hilarious. How dozy can you get. Its a baseball bat, and he was at an age where he could legitimately say to the police it was for him and his mates to play in the park. But to admit to possessing an offensive weapon for self defence was very silly.

I did laugh.

And yes the rigid lorry driver was incredibly lucky. But so were every other vehicle on the road. Good job he hadnt run into the back of a row of cars, would have been a rather different episode.

Hi Mods

I'm sorry I dropped it under legal, must be an age thing! should be in motoring discussion. My apologies

ID

Wow - Motorway Cops Tuesday eve - martint123

The thought that the 44 tonner behind me could have a 3 times over the limit driver inside it gives me the collywobbles.

that when police deserve the praise for the job they do! rather than the efforts of prosecuting those that flash their head lamps.

Horrendous thought of the driver running on special brew ! & the one without a licence that had been in the vosa check point before and got away!

Makes you wonder how many drivers are over the limit & hours and miss accidents all but for the grace of god

Wow - Motorway Cops Tuesday eve - Westpig

The programme nicely highlights all the stuff going on that a speed camera cannot get anywhere near to dealing with...and why the foot soldiers are still badly needed.

Wow - Motorway Cops Tuesday eve - Dutchie

I saw a bit of the program and this type of policing is the best and yes foot soldiers are needed on the motorway and on the beat.

I saw a bit of the program and this type of policing is the best and yes foot soldiers are needed on the motorway and on the beat.

Must admit they came across much better with worthwhile actions in the program and highlight the neccessity of the job in hand

The dissapointment was the guy who put his phone down his trousers ( gives the wrong message) I would of pursued that one but obviously there hands were tied. May be they should of put one of there radios near the guys trousers and sent him a text to see if the phone went da-dada-da-dada over the radio. That guy was so smug and clearly done it before , after all he admitted he had the phone to his ear in the first place and then it mysteriously dissapears !!! Hopefully he will get caught soner or later.

Better sooner than later before he kills somebody.
Wow - Motorway Cops Tuesday eve - turbo11

I recorded it on my HD player, but it missed off the end of the programme. What happened to the HGV driver who failed the breathalyser?.

dissapointed actually, 18 month ban 8 points I think and about £150 fine! nothing really apart from he wont be driving.

The other HGV driver caught without a licence ! 4 points £80 fine , what is that all about, no more than what you get for doing 34 in a 30 ! I can see why there are so many chancers about now! the penalty is cheaper than doing it the proper way. Unless he was self employed his firm should of checked his licence & photo copied it by law before he started!

Wow - Motorway Cops Tuesday eve - woodster
the strange thing about the mobile phone user is that the officers didn't pursue the matter. there's no requirement in law for the police to produce the phone or the record of calls. The evidence is simply their testimony that they saw the driver using it. Even if he appears at court and says he didn't have one matters not a jot. Up to the magistrates to weigh the evidence and determine, as with many other cases. Most odd.

the strange thing about the mobile phone user is that the officers didn't pursue the matter.... Up to the magistrates to weigh the evidence and determine, as with many other cases. Most odd.

CPS?

Having no licence is not a arrestable offence either according to the police man strange.These offences should be, driving without a insurance or licence thats why so many are doing this.and laughing at people who are paying the full pop.

Having no licence is not a arrestable offence either according to the police man strange.

The officer was incorrect.

Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984

Sections 24 and 25 PACE are replaced by a new section 24 and section 24A – as substituted by sections 110 and 111 and Schedule 7 of Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005.

The effect of the changes is to replace the concept of seriousness with a test of necessity. From 1 January 2006, all offences carry the power of arrest. A lawful arrest will require two elements:

• a person’s involvement or suspected involvement or attempted involvement in the commission of a criminal offence; and
  • Reasonable grounds for believing that the person’s arrest is necessary.

The necessity criteria are set out in detail in paragraphs 2.4 to 2.9 of PACE Code G. The criteria are that the arrest is necessary to:

• obtain the name and/ or address of the person and be satisfied with the information provided
  • prevent the person in question:
  • (i) causing physical injury to himself or any other person;
  • (ii) suffering physical injury ;
  • (iii) causing loss or damage to property;
  • (iv) committing an offence against public decency; or
  • (v) causing an unlawful obstruction of the highway;
  • protect a child or other vulnerable person from the person in question
  • allow the prompt and effective investigation of the offence or of the
  • conduct of the person in question
  • to prevent any prosecution for the offence from being hindered by the
  • disappearance of the person in question.

When considering the need to arrest the officer should take the following into account; the situation of the victim; the nature of the offence; the circumstances of the offender and the needs of the investigation.

Arrest must never be used simply because it can be used. The use of the power must be fully justified and officers exercising the power should consider whether the necessary objectives can be met by other, less intrusive means, such as summons, fixed penalty notice, penalty notice for disorder; or by using street bail following arrest rather than taking the person to the police station. Recording requirements are set out in section 4 of Code G.

Wow - Motorway Cops Tuesday eve - Bilboman

Excellent programme as always and it raises some interesting questions. The "ukpolice2" channel on YouTube uploads a lot of these programmes.

Something that constantly amazes me is how drivers stopped on the motorway always leave form teh driver's side door when in most cases they are driving alone and could easily exit from the passenger's door, away from passing cars, which is significantly safer. It is also surprising that the police never advise the driver to do so either.

Wow - Motorway Cops Tuesday eve - martint123

Something that constantly amazes me is how drivers stopped on the motorway always leave form teh driver's side door when in most cases they are driving alone and could easily exit from the passenger's door,

The last three cars I have had required a lot of contortion to exit from the passegner side.

Vans, lorries - fine. sports or compacts, no way.

Wow - Motorway Cops Tuesday eve - woodster

Westpig - well yes, maybe it was the CPS that pulled it. That's worthy of a challenge in itself - if 2 officers saw it then there's absolutely no need to show the court the device used. It's their evidence, as you know, that the mags consider. Not a good CPS decision if that's the case - they're acting as a court themselves. I suppose we could start seizing the phones utilising sec 19. There'd be uproar! As for 'arrestable', yes everything is if the justification is there but there have been some challenges. Necessity is the key. I can't see an arrest for DOAWL being good if the driver's address is known.