Nissan Micra K11 - Engine misfire: new plugs? - mikem004

2001, 100k

Suddenly has trouble getting up hills, OK on the flat. Runs like a tractor.

Engine light flashing.

Thought it was exhaust problem. Took it to Kwik Fit,they diagnosed an engine misfire. Possible electrical problem.

Is this something that can be solved with a new set of plugs. Or is it possible there is something more seriously wrong with the engine? Car uses more oil nowadays.

I missed an important bit of information:

KwikFit reckoned the car was only running on 3 cylinders.
Nissan Micra K11 - Engine misfire: new plugs? - Chris M

Does this engine have HT leads? If so, remove them one at a time to see if it makes a difference. Probably best to remove the lead before starting the engine. If removing one makes no difference then it could be lead or plug. Swap plug with another cylinder and check again. If it's still the same cylinder then try swaping HT leads if possible. If problem is still there it's likely to be something more serious. Compression test may help. It's a process of elimination.

Alternatively, someone with more knowledge of this particular engine may be along soon to say that x happens at 100k miles.

HTH

Edited by Chris M on 08/01/2011 at 11:51

Nissan Micra K11 - Engine misfire: new plugs? - elekie&a/c doctor
It is possible that this car has the later type engine control system,in which case there will be 4 individual coils,one for each cylinder rather than dizzy with 4 leads.It could be a number of things causing a misfire,but if you can identify which cylinder is not firing it is not difficult to swap the coils to see if the fault transfers.May be worth checking spark plugs at the same time.hth

>Does this engine have HT leads?<

Not like the older K11 Micra I used to have. This Micra has square boxes above the 4 plug holes. It is not immediately apparent how to get to the plugs.

My local garage reckons it is a problem with the coil. They put the car on diagnostics and fould a problem with the coil pack on cylinder 2. They say the coil pack has "deteriorated".
56 quid for a new one. The mechanic reckons this will get it running again (he hopes).
Coil plastic had shattered, spark plug had blown.
Replaced coil + set of plugs. Now runs fine.
Though I don't know what damage I might have done to the cat, driving around on 3-cylinders.