VW Polo 1.6 Auto - White smoke after car left standing - Collins63

Hi. We have a V-reg Polo, which has been left standing since late November. It started ok today, which was a relief - and all seems and sounds ok, other than a lot of white smoke from the exhaust.

I let it idle for 20 mins, but the smoke kept coming. I then took it for a 10 minute run, pushing it up to 4,000 rpm up hills and it seems to have improved markedly.

Q1: What would have caused the white smoke?

Q2: Is whatever caused this likely to now have been resolved by running the engine faster?

Q3: Any further action required?

With great thanks in advance...

VW Polo 1.6 Auto - White smoke after car left standing - Peter.N.

I think you will probably find its just condensation, the smoke is actually steam, having got it warm it has now dried out.

Thanks for your response. Car ran fine for a couple of days, but now won't start on its own - just get lots of clicking sounds.

It can be jump-started with leads - I did so and then drove for 90 minutes to charge the battery up, but still won't start on its own. What is the most likely cause of this? The battery's only 2 years old, but the car has been left standing for a couple of months.

Grateful for responses asap. Thank you.

VW Polo 1.6 Auto - White smoke after car left standing - Peter.N.

If the battery had been allowed to go flat for very long it has probably sulphated. Check that it is charging properly, connect a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running, should read 14 volts+ if it does the battery is u/s if not the alternator is likely faulty.

Thanks so much for your response Peter.

What might be the costs to fix in either case?