Ford Focus Est 1.8 tddi 2000 - Ford Focus Vibrating/Shaking - leegareththomas

Hi,

I wonder if any one has any idea what is causing my focus to shake when driving over 60 mph. The shaking is felt through the seat/body and not the steering wheel, it makes driving higher than 70mph unbearable. The shaking will stop if i take my foot off the accelerator or put my foot down on the clutch. I have had the wheels balanced but that has not reduced it. On my last MOT it failed originally on the offside front spring coil not correctly located and i have had an advisory stating "Front Suspension weakened but no possibility of the body or a component fouling a road wheel" Could it be a problem with the suspension or something else.

Thanks

Ford Focus Est 1.8 tddi 2000 - Ford Focus Vibrating/Shaking - Peter.N.

Nine out of ten cases of vibration at speed are down to out of balance or faulty tyres, you can get ply seperation which does not affect the balance but makes the tyre go out of round, as you can't feel it on the steering I would suggest that its a rear wheel that's at fault. You can check by raising the wheel just above the ground and spinning it, watch for any variation of the gap between tyre and ground.

Ford Focus Est 1.8 tddi 2000 - Ford Focus Vibrating/Shaking - dadbif
I experienced exactly the same symptoms on a Mondeo, the vibration got progressively worse over a 2 year period, and gradually maniested itself a lower speeds, during this proof it passed mot's!
I eventually found the fault to be an inner CV joint, it was in a very sad state when I eventually changed it. The car had passed the MOT's because the joint was hidden by an engine undertray and the fault was not evident when not being driven, and testers do not remove undertrays to inspect inner joints.