VW Passat - Heater Matrix - Mr Whippy

VW Passat 1.9 tdi 1999 10200 miles. Heater matrix problem I think(no heat),the car had a leak on the main cooling rad so a mechanic put some sealant in last year. More info the car has had a new thermostat/water pump and been flushed the heat control knob is working I can feel the valve arm moving I have not checked the heater valve to see if it is sezied.The pipes to the bulk head are both warm/hot I am trying to avoid pulling the dash out or some one else to do it .Any tips or hints please Mick

VW Passat - Heater Matrix - Chris M

Just an idea and I don't know what access is like, but how about disconnecting the hoses at the bulkhead and attaching the garden hose to the return pipe. If the water flows, you will know the matrix is not blocked and the valve is open, if it doesn,t............

VW Passat - Heater Matrix - Lygonos

>> the car had a leak on the main cooling rad so a mechanic put some sealant in last year. <<

Time to sell up and buy another.

VW Passat - Heater Matrix - Avant

Moved to Technical.

VW Passat - Heater Matrix - dieselnut

You may have an air lock in the heater pipes.

Where the heater pipes go through the bulkhead one pipe has a white band around it by the compression pipe clip. This pipe has an air vent.

Loosen the pipe clip & pull rubber pipe back a few centimeters, this will expose a hole in the connector for bleeding air out.

Raise the coolant resovoir so that coolant flows from the hole then push the pipe back on to its original position.