2007 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 - Cambelt change recommended at 20k miles - Paul_Johno

Hi all,

I've recently bought a 2007 Focus Zetec 1.6 and I'm very impressed. It's a 2007 model and yet it has only done 22k miles. After reviewing the service history in greater detail it seems at it's last service (21k) it was recommended that the cambelt should be changed.

I was quite surprised with this as I would normally expect a cambelt change no earlier than 60k. Why would this be advised so soon and how much should I expect to pay?

Cheers,

Paul

2007 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 - Cambelt change recommended at 20k miles - Victorbox

I'm no Ford expert and a real one will be along shortly. Even the worst Vauxhall change intervals were 4 years or 40,000 miles whichever comes first, and I recall that most Ford engines are now similar to modern Vauxhalls in specifying a 10 year or 100,000 mile change interval. Whether you'd want to run the cambelt that long is another matter.

Edited by Victorbox on 03/01/2011 at 09:47

2007 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 - Cambelt change recommended at 20k miles - Tommk4
Victorbox is right its 90k miles or 10 years...But you've got to ask why the garage suggested it be changed. Either they were trying to rip the previous owner off or they noticed that the cambelt was worn/damaged for some reason. Its worth checking to see if this is the case.