any - A bargain 4x4 - AndyTheGreat

Everyone loves a bargain and with the increase in fuel prices and likely interest rate hikes I reckon there will be some bargains 4x4s to be had. Lots of people have bought these over the last few years who cannot really afford to run them and I reckon lots of them will flood the market this year (2011).

I'm giving serious though to getting one in the next few months, but to be honest I have little knowledge of whats out there so looking for some ideas.

Here are my criteria:

Budget - anywhere up to £25k

Would like a petrol V8

Running costs and off road ability of no concern as will be only used for low miles. Off road? Why would I want to go driving across muddy feilds?

Must be full on luxury spec with lots of toys.

Looking for something where someone else has taken the big depreciation hit, although I do accept that this sort of car will lose value fast.

So any ideas?

any - A bargain 4x4 - Avant

I should think most petrol-powered V8s will continue to take a big hit in depreciation, so if you don't want to go off-road you could widen your choice.

If it has to be a 4x4 and you don't need the mud-plugging ability of the Range Rover, think about a Porsche Cayenne or (better value) VW Touareg if you don;lt mind a V10 rather than a V8.

any - A bargain 4x4 - Lygonos

Or how about Plan-B

Merc CL/SL/S-Class to get the phat V8 petrol and luxury without the on-road deficiencies of the 4x4.

You might have change to buy some fake b**bs and a novelty policeman's helmet with flashing blue light if you really want to draw attention to yourself ;-)

any - A bargain 4x4 - gordonbennet
I imagine V8 petrol 4x4's will plummet in value, regardless of how deep your pockets are 13 mpg takes some living with.

Mind you there is a way to have your cake and eat it, thats by getting one that's already been LPG converted, should give you approx 20mpg in real terms, about the same as an equivalent Diesel model.

Now you have to fathom out which one to buy that's going to last long enough and be reliable enough to take avantage of the investment, only one springs to mind, and they do not get sold cheap (others already do this) unless there's something seriously wrong.
any - A bargain 4x4 - NARU

I drive a landcruiser, but that's a long way from the experience you're looking for - its very much an old school 4x4 (but that's part of the reason I love it).

I'd have thought you'd be looking at:

Range Rover

Range Rover Sport (esp the supercharged)

Merc GL

Porche Cayenne

Just to expand a little further, what I'm really after is a top spec luxury car for a bit of fun. The reason I'm looking at 4x4 is purely because I expect them to be flooding the market this year as everyone offloads them due to not being able to afford them.

Some good suggestions so far, given me some food for thought. Here's a few specific replies:

VW Touareg V10 - interesting idea, I'll look into this further

Merc CL/SL/S-Class - great cars, but not so sure there will be bargains to be had

13 mpg takes some living with - I'll be doing low miles, and I hope this doesn't sound like bragging, I can afford it. I'll be using my trusty ford diesel for clocking up the big miles.

I drive a landcruiser - If I needed some off road ability or something good in the snow I would consider this.Great car, but somehow seem too practical and functional, crazy as that sounds!

Range Rover Sport (esp the supercharged) - I like this :)

Anyone got any thoughts on where the used car market will be heading in 2011? I'm thinking that timing will be critical to get the best deals. I think demand for diesels and small cars will soar as the hangover of Labours 13 year spending spree start to kick in.

Fairly high inflation.

Increasing tax burden.

Increasing unemployment.

Static wages.

There is only one way the economy is going next year and that is down. Expect big ticket item sales to drop - if any manufacturers have built big stocks up then these will likely attract good discounts.

The effect on 2nd-hand cars will lag that of new - when car sales plummeted in 08, it was late 09-early 10 that used prices started to rise due to a lack of good meat. Scrappage also helped reduce the number of decent 2nd hand cars.

Second-hand prices don't always follow economic shifts stright away.

If you're looking to 'cash-in' on circumstance for a 2nd-hand car you'll likely get better 'must-sell' prices from private sales than dealers.

any - A bargain 4x4 - k9dan

Andy,

No need to spend 25K, some really nice low mileage 4.4V8 Range Rover Vogue, on sale in the Autot***er, for about 14K. New shape as well, stick a private plate on it and tell everyone it's new. Just make sure the front diff has been fixed under recall. Leaves 11K for the petrol,

any - A bargain 4x4 - oldtoffee

On the basis that two extra cylinders over your V8 preference interests you how about two less? Subaru Legacy/Outback 3.0 - permanent 4 wheel drive, 245bhp, sub 7 seconds 0 to 60, 145mph, great handling (especially in Legacy SpecB format) and Q car looks but not your typical shed like 4x4. Reliable cars but low 20's mpg and top rate VED hurt their appeal so plenty of bargains around fully loaded, reasonable miles for half your budget.

Oldtoffee, I think you may have nailed it. Having given it some thought, I think my heart lies with performance over luxury. I think I was getting too caught up on the idea of getting bargain that I forgot what type of car I really enjoy!

I've always had a soft spot for scoobys since my brother had one a couple of years back, but wasn't keen on the boy racer image that they have. The Legacy/Outback solves that problem but still gives the same performance.

MPG and VED not a major concern, its a weekend and evening car so miles will be low.

Time to start looking, thanks to everyone for the great suggestions and advice!

Used to be a load of Legacy Spec. B on Subaru's central stock that wasn't selling back in '08 (was swithering about one before I got the Forester).

You'll find 06 and 56 plate Spec B saloons listed for £9-10k with 20k miles from franchised dealers. Expect a little room to negotiate further.

A cut-price Audi Quattro in my book.

Not as Q-car as a Forester mind you...

any - A bargain 4x4 - GolfR_Caravelle_S-Max

I can say the Spec-B is a fab car to drive. Having has 15 alfas, BMW, Audi, Pug 106 rallye, Alfa 33 Q4, barchetta, fords, renaults, citroens, misc fiats and many others, it's really one of the best (never tried porche etc) over 1,000,000 milesdriven (reached last year after 20 years driving). Done 26,000 in a year in mine on LPG. But make sure you get the manual. The auto is 0-60 in 8.5 secs and the manual 6.5 secs.

I have an LPG 55 plate for the missus and I drive a Suzuki LPG and the running costs are not bad for a fun, fast, tight estate. Mind the tyres though - 215/45/18 are only on the spec b and ferrari and the (best handling) Pilot Exalto PE2 will set you back £270+ per corner and you'll need all 4 doing (AWD). Falken Ze912 at £98 per corner are a v. good alternative.

Any questions on the Leggy, let me know. The LPG conversion is BRC and on a long 65mph run the equiv of 65mpg (petrol-lpg prices) is possible.