Renault Clio lRT 1400 petrol auto 1997 'R' reg - Automatic transmission warning light on - nashy

Car has done 44000 miles. Problem started about 41,000. Light come on and g/box reverts to default setting - change up at 3000rpm. Also getting un-commanded throttle increases. Goes to 4000rpm if in neutral or park - then back to normal tick-over (850rpm). Also does it on the move, which is disconcerting and could be dangerous.

Manual suggests changing g/box fluid at 4000rpm, which has been carried out - with little improvement.

I have been led to believe that it could be a solenoid fault, which is easily rectified by changing/updating the solenoid - but this then requires reprogramming the ECU.

Anyone have any ideas?

Renault Clio lRT 1400 petrol auto 1997 'R' reg - Automatic transmission warning light on - Avant

Moved to Technical, where you should get some advice.

Renault Clio lRT 1400 petrol auto 1997 'R' reg - Automatic transmission warning light on - injection doc
Have you checked the brake lights and rear side lights & earth connections on rear lights ? belive it or not these rear lights can cause the autobox to go into limp mode & faults with the rear lights send the Engine ECU scatty .
Always worth a thourough check & I mean real carefull check of their function.
I have seen ECU & autoboxes replaced for just rear light issue's.
easy cheap check first
Renault Clio lRT 1400 petrol auto 1997 'R' reg - Automatic transmission warning light on - nashy
Have you checked the brake lights and rear side lights & earth connections on rear lights ? belive it or not these rear lights can cause the autobox to go into limp mode & faults with the rear lights send the Engine ECU scatty . Always worth a thourough check & I mean real carefull check of their function. I have seen ECU & autoboxes replaced for just rear light issue's. easy cheap check first

Thanks for the above advice. I will check as suggested, though I'm not aware of any faults.