De Icers - Cymrogwyllt

[cynic mode] are a con.

The trigger type ones spray a solution on to the screen that melts the ice. so far so good. If you're not quick enough the solvent/alcohol evaporates leaving you with a film of water on the screen that promptly freezes over. Usually after travelling 30m or so.

Has the added effect of cooling the screen and causing the moisture in the air to condense on the inside of the screen and freeze solid.

The spray on ones are worse as the spray is pre cooled due to the nature of sending it from a high pressure environment to a low one.

[/cynic mode]

Covering the screen is good. covering at least the front side screens as well is better.

Else best to rely on a good (hard to find, and if you find one keep it safe) scraper

De Icers - Avant

This winter for the first time I've seen and tried 'pre-icer' (Tesco, Halfords etc) which you spray on at night. It doesn't prevent ice forming but make it much easier to get off, and stay off, the next morning.

De Icers - Talking Hoarse

Never used de-icers for many years. I always use warm (eg tap) water. Filling a 2 litre bottle is usually enough. Routine is brush off snow if need be, lift wipers (so as not frozen to screens), start engine, switch on wipers and demister blower, pour water over screens & mirrors to be cleared, and off you go. Don't forget lights.

I used to find de-icers left a film on the windows - the above method cleans them a bit though.

De Icers - Dutchie

I have used pre icers in the past,got some from a pound shop they where selling them off.Orginal price was expensive.They do work not as much ice on the windscreen.In winter I always use a soft brush to get writ of snow and a scraper and de icer.I would be a bit weary of using warm water on a frozen windscreen but if it works for you fine.

De Icers - s.v.u.

I too have used warm water on frozen screens for well over 45yrs with no problem, even down to minus 20.

De Icers - johnnyrev

I have been using warm water for years as well. Never had a problem, except when it re-freezes as it has in the recent cold weather. But I'm not keen on de-icer and scraping, warm water is much faster to clear the car, and more environmentally friendly I suspect.

I have also been suffering from ice inside the car this winter, never had this trouble before but I suspect its because I do short journeys and the inside of the car doesn't really warm up. De-icer is also not good for inside the car, the fumes get up your nose somewhat!

De Icers - Collos25

Putting a half cover over the car at night solves most problems.

De Icers - Lygonos

Lukewarm water works very well, I also tend to keep neat screenwash (have the Costco one that goes to -36c neat) in a squeezy spray bottle in case of refreeze.

I would be very careful using it on door glass, however, as water penetrating the door gubbins and re-freezing can result in locks freezing wither shut or open until it melts again (managed that twice on an old 300zx - then spent 30mins with the engine/heater running until the door would stay shut).