Xantia mystery gauge - Simon Collier
Hi,

I have recently bought an old Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD LX. There are 2 orange indicator lights on the dashboard, none are on whilst running, but I do not know what one of them is for (I do not have the Citroen handbook).

Bottom right is the Glow-Plug 'coil'
Top Left is the mystery gauge which I'm guessing is either temperature or level for a liquid (Water, Oil, Diesel or LHM)

Anyone know what it means?

Thanks

Simon Collier
Re: Xantia mystery gauge - David Woollard
Simon

On the left (above the fuel gauge) an orange lamp could be brake pads, ABS, engine management or oil level.

Describe the light and I'll pin down the actual one.

Is this a monster miles bargain or clean retail car?

David
Oil level gauge misunderstanding. - David Woollard
I often think if someone says "it has only started doing that since you serviced it", and you know no new fault has been introduced to the car, then it is a raised sense of awareness due to the fact the car has just been looked at. Something along the lines that cleaning the windows, lights, number plate and dusting the dash (plus that washer fluid smell we've discussed before) is more likely to make a car feel serviced.

Stick with this, it is leading back to the level gauge/light question!

Had a call one morning after servicing a vehicle. I can't use the car to go to work, "since you serviced it yesterday" the oil pressure came up normally and then went to nothing. Would you be looking at the gauge with a dripping dipstick on I ask? Yes that's the one, it's gone right down to nothing!

Slightly embarrased to work the owner round to remembering that is the oil level gauge and it has behaved (correctly) like that for the last six months they've owned the car.

David
Identified. - David Woollard
Simon,

Thanks for the drawing. It is the engine oil level (not pressure) warning lamp. Should come on for 2 or 3 secs then go off, if it flashes for 15 seconds or so check level.

They can be a little erratic in operation so use the dipstick as your weekly check.

Have a look at my Xantia "what to look for" guide at

www.woollard.com.btinternet.co.uk/XantiaBuying.htm

Hope you enjoy the car, 120K is not monster mileage, just run in.

David
Re: Identified. - Ian Cook
These oil level lamps are fitted on many Citroens (ZX included) they often flash if you restart the car after a run - especially if the oil level is down a little on the dipstick. Probably because some oil is now in the top of the engine and not the sump. This is worse if the car is partked on a slope.

Don't worry too much about it - just do as David suggests and use the dipstick.