Nissan Micra K12 - PLEASE help me end 6 months of hell! - jglencross

(am an avid reader of Honest John in the Telegraph but this is my first post here - be gentle with me!)

Wonder if any kind peeps can help. For 6 months my previously totally reliable Nissan Micra K12, 2003/53 plate has become totally unreliable. Started in June when suddenly the car started to judder, there was an electrical smell, the engine light came on and turned out it was the ignition coil needed replacing. Got that done, a week later it went again and they replaced it under warranty. A month or so later the car started juddering again but it's an intermittent problem. I would often notice it on cold start going up the hill away from our house, but it would be juddery on gear changes etc too. Took it to the Nissan dealer, they said rear O2 sensor, replaced it. It was fine for a week or so then it started again, they said FRONT O2 sensor and replaced it. A month or so later and same symptoms all over again. Took it in, typically they said it was fine and no symptoms. The next day it wouldn't start at all so had to get it recovered to them! This time they kept it a week and ended up apparently cleaning the points! and they said this resolved the issue 'once and for all'. Yesterday, pulling up to a roundabout car started to judder slightly, pulled away from roundabout on other side and engine light started to flash, car cut out altogether on dual carriageway and I ended up in the snow, alone, on a dual carriageway waiting (and waiting) for recovery. (the same) Nissan garage now says it's ignition coil number 1 (and ignition coil number 2 was the one that went at the start of this issue). That's yet another £200 gone.

I don't know who to believe or trust any more. I just need this sorted once and for all. Doesn't help my dad was an auto electrician but died 3 years ago. I just know he'd have sorted it out! I know the car is 7 yrs old now and I'm happy to spend a bit more on it but surely I can't be wrong in thinking there's some kind of underlying issue here that they're not getting at?

All help most gratefully received. I am terrified to go out in the thing now as I'm scared it'll let me down - and I can't afford a new car right now.

P.S the same Nissan garage has always serviced it since I got it with exception of one service and MOT a few years back when stepdad was dying so I was away from home.

Edited by jglencross on 21/12/2010 at 18:31

Nissan Micra K12 - PLEASE help me end 6 months of hell! - bathtub tom

>>apparently cleaning the points!

Are you sure that's what they said?

Your car doesn't have points, time to find another garage!

Nissan Micra K12 - PLEASE help me end 6 months of hell! - injection doc

apparently cleaning the points!" I suspect they mean "earth points"

Burning out coils could be caused by a faulty ECU, but the wiring needs checking first & I would replace the plugs, regardless of age and mileage.