£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - iFocus

Hi All,

I'm new here so be kind and If I've put this in the wrong forum apologies.

However, as per my title I have £6000 to spend on a large estate car; I intend keeping the car a very long while, more than likely over 5 years. I do over 12,000 miles a year too.

I want the lowest mileage and as new as possible. And so far I have been thinking about a Honda Accord Tourer (don't know whether petrol or diesel yet), Toyota Avensis and the Ford Mondeo.

Can anyone give me their insight? Or suggest anything else they main deem as suitable, the main requirements as above being longevity and of course reliability.

Thanks

Craig

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - oldtoffee

I'd have thought petrol over diesel would be a better long term - most reckon 15,000 miles a year before you consider diesel for fuel savings. Factor in potential for expensive injector and dual mass flywheel issues on leggy diesels would IMO give petrol the edge.

The Mondeo is truly big and lots of independents around to fix and service at reasonable prices. Accord (low roof line) and Avensis are a bit smaller but still good and have reputations for reliability. The Vectra is also a big estate with low running costs. You might want to add Mazda 6 which is a bit of a drivers car like the Mondeo to your list and left of field perhaps, Subaru Legacy (thirstier but reliable and all wheel drive).

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - Lygonos

End-run model of the Mark II CRV.

Carries passengers and luggage like an estate, 30mpg petrol, 40mpg diesel.

Reliability is exceptional. Did over 50k miles in 3 years in a petrol auto (from 30k-80k miles) - still drove like a 20k mile car.

With the seats up if has more boot space than almost any estate car (580 litres I believe) - not so good for very long loads as the seats tumble rather than fold flat.

Don't laugh until you try - they drive well, are comfortable, and can deal with pretty much any road conditions.

Edited by Lygonos on 16/12/2010 at 19:34

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - Avant

Welcome to the forum!

If you go for anything Japanese, go for petrol: the diesels don't have such a good name for reliabilty, particularly not the Mazda 6. Petrols are fine.

The CRV is a good alternative, although £6k might get you a newer Accord than it would a CRV. Add the Skoda Octavia to your list; there are a lot of happy Octavia drivers around, including me.

Edited by Avant on 16/12/2010 at 19:54

Thanks guys!

I won't be adding the Octavia though, I used to own a Mk1 on a 99T and it was the worst car I've owned. Had it 2 years and it had some major faults on it, the worst being the gearbox gave out at 80,000 Miles and Skoda didn't want to know!

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - TheOilBurner

I've got a 2005 Avensis 1.8 petrol, but in hatchback form. Can do over 40mpg on the motorway, cheap as chips to buy plus decent tax band and insurance too. £6k should be enough to get an estate about the same age as mine with around 50-60,000 miles on it.

It's quick enough, but no rocket, economical without much to go wrong. Well equipped but a bit plain inside. In other words, it's just fine if you don't expect too much excitement!

Thanks Oil Burner, I have actually seen an Avensis at a Toyota dealer for £6495 with 47k on it. That was a 1.8 T3-X and I quite like it.

And I was considering the 1.8 as a good compromise between economy and performance. Although you say its ok if I don't want exitement does it handle well with little body roll? I currently own a 2001 Astra DTi that handles well enough for me, after all I'm not Schumacher. :)

I would say the handling is pretty good. There's no appreciable body roll and despite that the suspension is still pliant and forgiving. We've owned a couple 2003 Astras (petrol and diesel) and I would say the Avensis is slightly better than the old Astra in terms of handling.

However the grip levels on my car seem below average, but that could just be my brand of tyres. Nothing scary, it just scrabbles a little when pulling off. It's quite easy to set the traction control off, which is surprising given that it doesn't have huge amounts of power.

Best thing to do is try one and see! :)

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - barney100

When an estate is needed to last then a Volvo fits the bill ideally. Big, tough swallows most loads and goes on and on. Get a good indie to do the servicing and the bills are no worse than other makes.

When an estate is needed to last then a Volvo fits the bill ideally.

Only if you can stomache the repair bills and so-so reliability. Like so many other manufacturers, Volvo's reputation is based on the strengths of yesteryear. They're not even that big anymore now they've veered away from boxy designs. A £6k V70 is potentially a money pit for the unwary.

That's my opinion from owning a couple of recent Volvo's including a higher mileage V70, which is all you're going to get for £6k.

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - pd

Accord CDTi would be my choice from that lot. Few generic problems, can take very big mileages, and quite a decent car.

Avensis is OK, but the diesel is not as good as the Honda and I find the petrols pretty gutless, slow and thirsty.

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - turbo11

Mazda 6 2.0 TS2 petrol estate. I part exchanged my 04 plate(which I purchased new) for a new Mazda 5. I covered 90K miles, and the only item changed was a sidelight bulb.Michelin HP's I had fitted lasted 35K miles. I gave it 6K mile oil changes and it was still like new when I part exchanged it. In fact if it hadn't been for a growing family I would still be driving it.

I find the petrols pretty gutless, slow and thirsty.

Gutless, perhaps a little, but no more so than other naturally aspirated petrols of this engine size.

Thristy? No, mine is averaging 38.6mpg at the minute. On a long motorway run at 70 mph it will easily do 42mpg. Take into account 4p a litre cheaper petrol (than diesel), and £2k cheaper purchase costs than the D4D and you're laughing.

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - corax

Thristy? No, mine is averaging 38.6mpg at the minute.

I agree. pd must have driven a bad one. My dads 2003 1.8 easily does 40+ mpg. The handling is good, the ride is slightly knobbly if I'm being critical, mainly if sitting in the back (although they were supposed to have been improved on later ones) . Massive loadspace and a very safe, strong car. I would buy one tomorrow but for the fact that I can't get comfortable in it for long distances. You'd have to try one. Totally reliable as well.

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - keasden

I just bought a 54 plate Corolla Verso T-Spirit for £6000 from a main dealer. Its done 60k and the service history is a bit patchy but it runs really well and I love it. Very roomy inside, comfortable, full of toys including DVDs in rear headrests and built-in sat nav and has the bonus of 7 seats with the rear 2 folding flat into the floor to give a generous boot capacity. I would highly recommend you try one given your budget and requirements.

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - brignac

I would agree with an Avensis 1.8 petrol - although they are hard to find as most buyers seem to opt for diesel. A bit dull but very reliable/well built, and cheap to run

Re the Mazda 6 - the CO2 rating means the road tax is expensive - not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it adds up over a number of years. Same is true of petrol Mondeos and Honda accords

I wonder if the Mondeo diesel's aren't worth a second look. Lots seem to be starting to appear as taxis in my area - which is always a good sign.

I wonder if the local taxi drivers have found a way round the big bills that can crop up with these cars?

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - barney100

My experience of Volvos is different from yours. Repair bills are no worse than other makes if you get a good indie. A quick glance at the Volvo owners club high mileage register is testimony to the longevity of the cars. I have had Volvos ancient and modern and in my opinion they are very good cars.

Edited by Avant on 21/12/2010 at 23:53

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - pint6x

Yup - I can sympathise with this, which is why I'm changing my '03 V70 D5 SE with 147k on the clock. A lovely car to drive, very practical, smooth, quick, comfortable, but every service at an independent is £6-800. There's always something needs replacing and it's getting too much for me now, I just can't afford it.

In 4 years and 75,000 miles I've had a new radiator, a new intercooler, new track rod ends, a new Mass airflow sensor thing, stupidly low profile tyres at £120 a corner, a replacement wheel (!) several rear windscreen wiper motors, a new passenger mirror (£300 cos it's got motors, memory and heating elements).......it's now got a nice whine from the gearbox in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th, so clearly a bearing is on the way out in there, it needs new rear shocks, new front wishbone bushes and a damn good service, and there's the spectre of a £1,500 spend if the injectors go west - too rich for me I'm afraid.

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - SteveLee
Consider a petrol Citroën C5 estate, whilst they are not as reliable as Toyotas, this would be offset by the fact that you could purchase a much newer car for the same price which would aid reliability. C5s are pretty reliable (especially petrol ones) the funny suspension is practically maintenance and trouble free as well as being unbeatable for load-lugging. For instance a four year old car with just 35K miles for £3,999: www.cargiant.co.uk/Citroen/C5/details-492110-Citro...0

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - Rich320d

A well specced mk3 Mondeo estate, 2.0 petrol as the diesels have issues. The Mazda derived petrol has a cam chain, so no belt to change, easy to service yourself, easily accessible oil and fuel filter and sump plug.

At 70mph on the motorway it will do 40mpg, cheap to buy and insure, you should be able to get an 06 or 07 with reasonable miles.

Indeed, I managed 43 mpg over a thousand miles with a borrowed 2006 petrol 2 litre Mondeo after my brother borrowed my car - mainly motorway driving - it was a very pleasant car to drive.
Hmmm, I don't think a Mondeo fits my requirements really. I do want something stylish with abit of badge snobbery....

Well, it fitted your requirements in your original post! If you wqnt to buy a badge, we probably can't help you except to say that £6k will buy you a newer Mondeo or Avensis than a German wagen with an upmarket badge.

I don't want a German car, I'm not a big fan of VAGs after owning 2 that had major problems. And I don't like the image of BMWs and Audis.

Really I don't want badge snobbery, just abit something less ordinary, less run of the mill if you know what I mean. So out are Vauxhalls and Fords, as this is the only time I've had abit of money to play with other than £1500 that I was spending on bangers.

Well the Honda Accord is a stylish looking car - dare I say more expensive looking than it is.

Fair point, iCraig: I think Steve's right, and a Honda Accord which you also suggested at the beginning could fit the bill. For your bidget go for a petrol.

Saab and Volvo may be worth thinking about: Volvos are better to drive than they used to be, Saabs less so, and less reliable since GM took them over.

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - Collins63
We've a diesel Hyundai i30 estate - really pleased with it & a bargain nearly new - still has 3+ years of warranty.

You could get a well-equipped 2008 model for your budget - & you don't see many around...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I've gone for a Volvo V50 in the end on a 2004 54 Plate for £5395 with 47k on it.

I've agreed to buy it and put a £100 deposit on it. But I have a few niggling feelings about the car after doing to investigations including a HPI check on it. The HPI check came back saying it has outstanding finance. I therefore called the finance co and they confirmed they had NO financial connection with the car anymore. Also the dealer advised me the car had 1 owner, HPI say differently, they say 2 former keepers excluding the current.

So I called the dealer for an explaination and he's told me he had a customer agree to buy the car and all the finance was accepted and the car was put into his name. But after this he realised he couldn't afford the repayments as he was apparently 78 years old (this all happened in July according to HPI). But to me its still ringing alarm bells and I don't know why.

Also looking at the photos on the net, the car was originally up for £6195 and now up for £5395, so he's obviously had it for a while.

Now if it was you buying this car, would you still have it? Bearing in mind its in very good condition with a full service history or would you walk away and possibly loose the £100 deposit? (I don't know if I'd get this back)

Thanks,

Craig

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - Collos25

When paying that sort of money you want everything to be correct,the dealer has tried to pull the wool over your eyes regarding the number of owners what else is he hiding. I would walk away and in my opinion you are entitled to your deposit back.

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - Trilogy

Hi Craig,

I've found the advert and it definitely looks as though the car was photographed in the summer. Personally I'm always wary of secondhand car dealers, unless one has been recommended. If you're concerned, I'd go with gut feeling. I bought a car this way, but my gut feeling said don't. The dealer persuaded me otherwise. I never had a worry free day with the car and lost 40% in a year. I'd have been better off losing my £100 deposit, which the dealer said he wouldn't refund because the car was as described. It wasn't as described, but it was his view against mine.

I hope this helps you.

Well I've contacted the dealer and he's refused to give me my money back and now he's said because 'I've' cancelled the deal that he's going to charge me £150 for loosing him money.

So now I'm taking him to court, see how he likes that for miss-describing a car, also reported him to trading standards for breaching the sales of goods act too. He's also changed the advert now online, so he probably thinks he's gotten away with it. But he doesn't realise he's dealing with someone clued up, and I took screenshots of the advert beforehand, so I still have proof! Muahahaha!

The moral of the story, don't buy cars from second hand car dealers that you don't know!

£6000 to spend on an Estate keeping for a while? - Trilogy

This may not be the correct thing to do, but perhaps you could bill him £150 for wasting your time!

If you're going to buy from a dealer, I'd have thought a franchise dealer, for the make you're buying could be best. You will generally pay more for the privilege but you should get more peace of mind. I prefer to buy privately but it depends which method you're most comfortable with.