Volkswagen Golf III - Luggage compartment lamp won't work - gogogolfy

Hi techies :)

I've owned my mk3 for ~7 years and still enjoy driving it; just one little problem : my luggage compartment lamp (inside the boot on left hand side) won't light up when hatch is open.

It used to work ok, but stopped a while back (I can't remember exactly when). Just got around to fixing it (as the rear wiper motor packed up, so got another for £30 and fitted it).

So far I have tried the following things :

0. Checked the bulb - it had blown, so replaced it with new one

1. Read my haynes manuel ;) - checked the fuse - it was ok

2. All other lights and electricals work fine (including other lights on the same fuse)

3. Checked plug voltage using a voltmeter, it was at ~12v on feed, and the earth line was at 0.5v (dunno if this is the problem)

4. Check voltage when boot open and closed (no change of either level) still ~12v and 0.5v

5. Was thinking that it might be a micro switch in the lock mechanism - as the lamp is lit using earth switching - so took it off and sprayed it with wd40 - didn't make any difference.

6. The wash wipe had leaked (ages ago) from the motor - so maybe it contaminated the switch in the lock ?

7. When trying to run an earth straight from the negative side of the lamp to the car body (missing out the switch in the lock) nothing changes, it still doesn't light up.

8. I also notice that leaving the hatch up doesn't make any warning lamps light on the dash as there isn't one to tell the driver the hatch is open ! lol

Any ideas ? or should I just buy a blinking torch and keep it in the boot ? lol

All replies read :)

cheers

Edited by gogogolfy on 13/12/2010 at 18:33

Volkswagen Golf III - Luggage compartment lamp won't work - Vitesse6

Corroded lamp terminals?

Have you tried making up a test lamp with a 12 volt bulb and seeing if the feed to the lamp will make that light when connected to a good earth?

Volkswagen Golf III - Luggage compartment lamp won't work - gogogolfy
now that is a very good idea ! :)
The terminals aren't corroded or anything.
I will try rigging up a test lamp (using the good bulb) tomorrow :)
cheers