Yaris SR 1.4 D4D on 58 plate - Tyre Road Noise - tjross

I have 195/50 Dunlop SP Sport tyres on 16" rims and the road noise at any speed over abour 55 mph is excessive. I would like to change tyres to a quieter make and would even consider changing to say 14" rims with 185/60 tyres to keep the rolling circumference approx the same. Has anyone any ideas on quieter tyre brands or if higher profile tyres on 14" rims would make a significant reduction in noise?

Yaris SR 1.4 D4D on 58 plate - Tyre Road Noise - injection doc
Hi tjross
have you thought of the option of having the sound proofing increased. this can be quite sucessfull, I had a client some years ago who had a P309GTI which was very noisy, both engine & tyres and he went for a full sound proofing kit which made a very big difference.

www.noisekiller.co.uk/about_noisekiller.asp
Yaris SR 1.4 D4D on 58 plate - Tyre Road Noise - Collos25

This may be of some help

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide_2007/213162/noise.html

This may be of some help

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide_2007/213162/noise.html

Andy, thanks. Seems the differences are fairly marginal. Maybe the soundproofing route would offer the largest reduction? John Ross

Yaris SR 1.4 D4D on 58 plate - Tyre Road Noise - gordonbennet
Our newly aquired C2 VTS is on similar sized tyres, the noise from them was awful, with an obvious 80% or more coming from the rear wheels.

I removed the carpets and trim from the areas that seemed worse the cut to shape and glued in place good quality carpet underlay (the soft corrugated rubber type) paying particular attention to the wheel arches and floor...the noise is significantly reduced and the cost minimal.

I used the same method on the rear bulkhead and under the rear seat of my pick up, again a huge difference.

Thanks this sounds an excellent scheme which I shall try when the weather is a bit better!