Ford KA 2002 - Snapped spark plug - whose liability? - Gemma1771

Hi everyone

I'm new to this Forum, and relatively new to driving, having only passed my test in July. I would be grateful for any advice you could offer.

I recently took my Ford KA for a service, and was told that one of the spark plugs was tight - the man performing the service did not feel comfortable removing it with the tools at his disposal. He recommended that I take it to a Ford garage, which I duly did. I informed the garage that one of the spark plugs was tight, and left them to it.

The next day, I received a call from the garage, informing me that the spark plug had snapped and fallen into the engine. They are now quoting me £600 to repair the damage. At the risk of sounding naive: surely I am not liable to pay this, as they were the ones who snapped the spark plug, and, effectively, broke my car? Financially, this couldn't have come at a worse time, but obviously I do want my to get my car back.

Once again, I would be grateful for some advice - even if it's just to reassure me that the expense is to be expected.

Many thanks

Gemma

Ford KA 2002 - Snapped spark plug - whose liability? - Railroad.

Hi Gemma

I work in a small independent garage in my home town in Hampshire. On our reception wall is a notice advising customers that we will not be liable for the cost of repairs due to broken/snapped/sheared bolts, studs etc. This would also apply to spark plugs. The plugs should be changed on a full service, and in your case it looks like they have been in use for much longer than they should've been. Yes I hear what you say the garage actually broke it, but it would've been the straw that broke the camel's back. In short your car has probably not been serviced as often as it should, and this is why a spark plug was tight in the head. Equally it could be said that the technician might've exercised a bit more care but this is always far easier to say than to do, especially after the event. In over thirty years I've never sheared a spark plug off, but I have on several occasions had to soak them in penetrating oil and go very slowly and gently.

It's one of those things, you’re damned if you do, you're damned if you don't. The plug had to come out somehow and at sometime. I don't think you'll win this one but I would try to negotiate a compromise with the garage. It's not all your fault, but due to the nature of the problem I’d say it isn’t all theirs either.....

Ford KA 2002 - Snapped spark plug - whose liability? - madf

Known problems with KA.

You were warned in advance...

I know it's not what you may wish to hear but I think it's just a cost to grin and bear..

Ford KA 2002 - Snapped spark plug - whose liability? - Gemma1771

Thanks so much for your input - I really appreciate it. The garage were very reasonable and dropped the price to £400, so I'm feeling much happier today.

Thanks again

Gemma

Ford KA 2002 - Snapped spark plug - whose liability? - Vitesse6

Out of curiosity:

How long have you owned the car, and when was it last serviced.

Did you buy it from a dealer and was it serviced before you bought it.

What is the service history on the car

Ford KA 2002 - Snapped spark plug - whose liability? - fordman1

I dont see how the bloke changing the plugs, snapped the plug, causing it to fall into the engine? I had issues once with a '98' Ford Fiesta 1.3, which I think is the same engine that is in the 'Ka'. It was necessary to apply considerable force to loosen one of the plugs, it eventually budged, The only issue was the fact that I broke the porcelin on the plug. If the garage in question has caused damage to your vehicle, then surely they are liable.

The mechanic should have used more care, especially since you pre-warned them about the problem.

The fact that they reduced the repair estimate from £600 to £400 suggests to me that they are trying it on.

Edited by fordman1 on 29/11/2010 at 20:28

Ford KA 2002 - Snapped spark plug - whose liability? - Collos25

The centre of the plug can drop through to cylinder if the porcelain breaks in the wrong place.

Ford KA 2002 - Snapped spark plug - whose liability? - fordman1

Interesting, I did not realise that!

Ford KA 2002 - Snapped spark plug - whose liability? - Collos25

It is very rare I have only seen it once but it can happen.I think if it was my car I would want to see the head and the damaged plug.