vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - MrAnderson93

hi, this is my first post on here, seems a pretty helpful forum

right i have a 1995 vw golf 1.4, being 17 i cant really insure anythin much bigger, all my friends have like 1.2 corsas and 1.1 saxos, and when we race i always lag behind in terms of speed, most ive had out of my car is a about 95mph, i fitted adjustable coilovers and it sticks to the road like glue, roundabouts are no problem, i can easily take them at about 40/50mph, but then all my mates catch up and pass me, basically i just wanna know if theres anythign i can do that will make it faster, like chipt he ecu or change the gearing maybe? as i said im 17 and cant really afford a gti yet.

thanks for looking :)

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - tdc

" most ive had out of my car is a about 95mph, i fitted adjustable coilovers and it sticks to the road like glue, roundabouts are no problem, i can easily take them at about 40/50mph"

....until you hit some diesel,mount the kerb and mow down a pedestrian!

Nip along to your local kart track with your mates and then you`ll see who`s fast,and slow,and dangerous....and what are you doing in a Mk3,get yourself a Mk1.

where i live there is a big open buisness park sort of place, just offices and distribution centres, the roundabouts have only like 2 exits and one is either a dead end or entrance to a distro-centre, no pedestrians around and we race in the nights. nothing wrong with what we do, not liek we race on busy roads or anything

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - Collos25

"Nothig wrong with that"

except its illegal one day you will grow up.

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - Armstrong Sid

And the noise these games make will annoy everyone for miles around.

The screeching tyres, exhaust noise, thumping stereos will keep people awake for hours. Sound carries a long way at night. I know becaue I've lived within earshot of kids playing with their toys like that

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - davmal
Is this an attempt to remove liquid waste products?

Male domestic foul springs to mind.
vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - Sofa Spud

Racing on the highway is not just illegal it's a serious offence which will lead to a long driving ban, possible imprisonment and, for young drivers, reversion to 'learner' status which means you'd need to pass the test again.

If you really are doing 95 mph on the highway, especially if you're only 17, hopefully you'll get caught and prosecuted before you have a serious accident.

If you've modified your Golf in any way, including changing the springs, when you wrap it round a tree (assuming you survive), you'll probably find that the insurance was not valid and you could end up with a bill of tens of thousands of pounds for the injuries caused to your passengers.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 23/11/2010 at 13:58

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - madf

Urine extraction in progress.

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - Sofa Spud

In addition to what I said in the post above, the roads on the business park are most likley classed as public highways, and so subject to normal traffic laws.

I'm aware that this could be a troll but I still wanted to reply because exactly this sort of thing goes on late at night around where I live. There's one particular exceptionally noisy car I hear that is driven late at night (2pm - 3pm) around town at crazy speeds - I mean what must be 70 - 80 mph in a 30 mph limit.

On the subject of noisy cars I saw an Audi R8 today. I was surprised how much noise it made - surely Audi, of all people, would try and make a car more civilised and less anti-social.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 23/11/2010 at 14:07

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - RoyWolfey

On the subject of noisy cars I saw an Audi R8 today. I was surprised how much noise it made - surely Audi, of all people, would try and make a car more civilised and less anti-social.

Perhaps it was fitted with an after market Milltek exhaust, or similar.

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - Vitesse6

You need:

Big ugly home made spoiler for the back

Stick on body kit (but a bit lopsided)

Monster stereo with huge bass drivers

Furry dice from rear view mirror

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - bonzo dog

And some people question why insurance for young drivers is as expensive as it is!

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - SteveLee
Starting with a hopeless overweight turd of a car such as a MKIII Golf wasn't very bright - still, could be worse - you might have bought a MkIV - should have sourced a Mk1 instead. That said - why are you racing on the road?

erm all my modificatoins are declared, therefore my insurance will not be invalid, would be appreciated if people didnt jump to conclusions, i doubt id hit a tree as i can actually drive, i have been on a rally training scheme in one of the summer holidays when i was younger, i only wanted a bit of advice on making my car a bit nippier, but yeah thanks for the sarcasm, oh and if any of you would like to give me the money for a mk1 i would quite happily buy one, and everyone saying its illegal, yes im well aware of it being illegal, AND?????? who here can 100% honestly say they ahve NEVER done anything even mildly illegal in their lives??????

Edited by MrAnderson93 on 23/11/2010 at 21:47

I quite often watch rallying, I like it when they hit the trees or go ploughing into the crowds when they lose it, owing to excessive speed. Shame they don't go on schoolboy rally driving courses.
Please explain the difference between the "mildly illegal" which we all may have done and "uncontrolled adolescent stupidity", which - as far as the public highway is concerned - seems to have pased me by.

On all policies it states your insurance is invalid for racing and rallying so racing around an industrial area will invalidate your insurance,you are only 17 and are not aware of the damage and heartache you can make with a car every week people die through the stupidity of others please do not become one of the statistics

On all policies it states your insurance is invalid for racing and rallying so racing around an industrial area will invalidate your insurance,you are only 17 and are not aware of the damage and heartache you can make with a car every week people die through the stupidity of others please do not become one of the statistics

have you noticed they only really crash in tight, gravel tracked forests? whereas im driving on a tarmac road, with decent suspension and toyo t1r tyres? ive already said my car ahndles really well, i have advanced driving experience, and the roads are empty, oh and i meant anythign illegal, something small or something big, everyone has done something illegal at some point in their lives so people should stop being high and mighty, i bet most of you used to race a bit when you got your licenses, or have you always been model citizens?

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8099654.stm

Not a gravel track in a forest.

Took me best part of two minutes to find this, how many more do you think there are?

"Your car handles very well." How would you know? What experience have you to call on?

"You have advanced driving experience." If you are 17, how much can you have?

"Roads are empty." So what are you racing against?

Cock

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - madf

You are all wasting time and valuable bandwidth repling to this thread in my view.

Either the original poster is winding us up or he is a mindless danger to society and will kill himself or someone else before coming to his senses. If he ever does.

In either case, there is no point arguing with him. A windup is a windup. And if his post is true he will either end up in jail or a mortuary before learning sense.

Edited by madf on 24/11/2010 at 12:47

link doesnt work, and yes im 17, but like i said i been on a rally training scheme, tought car control on tarmac, gravel, grass, mud all sorts of surfaces, i drove fwd, rwd and 4wd full on rally cars, so i can compare mine to them, roads are empty as in no body other than me and my mates on them, as i said all i wanted was some advice on making my acr go a bit faster, not all this holier than thou b*******.

cock

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - captain chaos

If you had a car that weighed two tons, forty five plus years old, drum brakes all round, leaf springs on the rear, bias belted Firestone wide ovals and four hundred brake and could take a roundabout at 40/50 mph, then I'd be impressed.

I wasn't going to bite, sorry, I couldn't resist... :)

i ahve a car that weighs less than 2 tons, is around 15 years old, has discs all round, and has toyo t1r's with eibach adjustable coilovers, so yes please be impressed

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - captain chaos

Something to bear in mind when you feel the need to speed, whether on a car park or otherwise. This was conducted at 30mph, not 95.tinyurl.com/32vqzkv

Be careful out there...

Assuming its not a wind up imagine this idiot if his car did go faster.

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - Dutchie

Hello MrAnderson.

We are inpressed you have a interest in cars and like to race.I used to when I was your age on small motorbikes.I hurt myself sometimes we all did daft things when we where young.But a car is a lot of metal to be racing on a public road even if its quiet.Looks like you have a nice motor well cared for.Take care Mr Anderson be the matrix be with you.Please stop racing.

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - mlj

I'll make two factual observations.

One, I owned a 1994 Golf mk3 for six years. It didn't handle very well.

Two, I have been a teacher for 21 years. In that time I have been to the funeral of 13 students. Twelve of them were 17 and died in road accidents.

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - tdc

Try a bit of karting(the basic rev-and-go type will do) and you will notice when you get back behind the wheel of your Golf that it has the handling/road-holding of a supermarket trolley by comparison.Maybe then you`ll realise that cheap old road cars respond very slowly to driver input.

vw golf mk3 - vw golf advice - Avant

Welcome to the forum. Some people think you're winding us up, but on the assumption that you're not....

I'm sorry that you haven't found some of the comments above helpful, but people are concerned for your safety. None of us would want to encourage you to race, except on a racetrack (or karting). We wouldn't encourage anyone to race on public roads, even if they had years of driving experience. I'm sure you understand why.

Actually you've made a very good choice of car: a Golf is more solid than many other cars and should give you more protection if you have a crash (which you shouldn't if you drive carefully). If you did modlfy it in any way you would have to tell your insurance company, and your premium would become even higher than it is now.

If you want to outdo your mates, take a pride in driving really well. If you have some money to spare, go on a Pass Plus course or have some advanced driving lessons.

If you still say that this advice is rubbish, as a moderator I will close this thread, as Madf will have been right in saying that we are wasting our time. But if you act on it - particularly bearing in mind MLJ's post above - you may be saving your own life and perhaps others' as well.

Edited by Avant on 25/11/2010 at 00:05