Xenon lights - P3t3r

I want to get some Xenon lights on my next car. I hate driving in the dark on unlit roads. With dipped lights it can be very hard to see and I often need to slow down.

Some people seem to moan about being blinded by them. What do people think, are they really that bad or are they really useful?

Xenon lights - Mike H

I'm not impressed with my xenons in terms of lighting performance. I have a 2004 model Saab 9-5. The standard headlights with upgraded bulbs (e.g. Philips X-Treme or Osram Night Breakers) were at least as good and probably better. You could fit these to your current car. If they were a cost option, I wouldn't have them again. If you're thinking about blinding other people, I read a recent thread which explains why xenons are significantly more dazzling for other road users even without any extra brightness - something to do with the spectrum they emit IIRC.

Edited by Mike H on 20/11/2010 at 16:57

Xenon lights - P3t3r

I'm not impressed with my xenons in terms of lighting performance. I have a 2004 model Saab 9-5. The standard headlights with upgraded bulbs (e.g. Philips X-Treme or Osram Night Breakers) were at least as good and probably better. You could fit these to your current car. If they were a cost option, I wouldn't have them again. If you're thinking about blinding other people, I read a recent thread which explains why xenons are significantly more dazzling for other road users even without any extra brightness - something to do with the spectrum they emit IIRC.

I've heard that they are a lot better than normal lights. In the past I have tried some higher performance bulbs, but the difference was barely noticable. The problem I have is mainly with the distance. Do Xenons light up the road further ahead or are they still adjusted to the same angle/distance?

Xenon lights - Collos25

Did I read on this forum that it will be an MOT failure if you fit non standard bulbs in your car headlights.

Xenon lights - OG

Aftermarket xenon conversion kits are illegal unless they are fitted with a complex self-levelling system. All manufacturer-fitted xenon lights have this feature as standard. 'Xenon' upgrade bulbs are not really xenon at all - they are conventional halogen bulbs that emit a whiter light to mimic the effect of genuine xenon headlights. Not sure if fitting the latter would cause your car to fail an MoT though, providing of course they were correctly aligned etc.

Xenon lights - P3t3r

Aftermarket xenon conversion kits are illegal unless they are fitted with a complex self-levelling system. All manufacturer-fitted xenon lights have this feature as standard.

I'm looking at manufacturer fitted Xenons.

Xenon lights - Mike H
But the latest generation of brighter bulbs are the same wattage as those originally fitted by the manufacturer, and for which the lighting system is designed, they are simply more efficient and produce more light. They cannot realistically be temed "non-standard", complying as they do with both the manufacturers and legal specifications.
Xenon lights - Mike H

The problem I have is mainly with the distance. Do Xenons light up the road further ahead or are they still adjusted to the same angle/distance?

In your original post you said that your problem was mainly with dipped headlights.....

Anyway, the xenons are excellent on main beam, The units incorporate a standard H7 headlight for main beam in addition to the xenons, how much they contribute is difficult to tell. It's the poor dip performance I have an issue with. It seems to me that, when correctly adjusted as I trust mine are, the dip has a shorter reach than "normal" headlights to avoid blinding other road users, whereas the main beam is spot-on for illumination. Whether this is the same with all xenons I have no idea.

Xenon lights - ForumNeedsModerating

My experience of pukka xenon discharge (as opposed to xenon filled incandescent) bulbs was that they're very penetrative - with the dipped beam providing a non-fading arc up to the headlight range. That is, they seem to illuminate the 70-odd metres in front uniformly, whereas halogen type headlights get fuzzy & fady at range. I had a Skoda Superb with xenons & they were so good, i actually looked forward to the dark winter evenings!

I think the lenses & reflector bowls are also better in factory spec xenons - better quality components used. With the after-market high-output & xenon filled bulbs I think it very much depends on the quality & original performance of the lenses & reflectors, as my experience has been mixed.

On a Mercedes C-class I owned I fitted high-output incandescent bulbs & they made a real positive difference, but my current 2010 Mondeo doesn't seem to that much better with these than the standard bulbs.

So, if you're buying a car with factory fitted (proper) xenons, they'll probably be very good - if you're just upgrading bulbs, it will vary by car more.

Edited by woodbines on 21/11/2010 at 11:10

Xenon lights - Mike H
So, if you're buying a car with factory fitted (proper) xenons, they'll probably be very good

.....but not necessarily. As I said, the factory-fitted xenon discharge lamps on my Saab 9-5 are poor on dip. Whatever car you choose, I think you need to drive it at night before you decide, to see whether the xenon-discharge are significantly better than normal lamps.

Thre's a downside to the sharp xenon-discharge cutoff - anything just outside the dip range is virtually invisible, whereas a little fuzz past the cutoff can sometime be of help in seeing that little bit further.

Edited by Mike H on 21/11/2010 at 11:48

Xenon lights - Nomag

They make a world of difference on our S-max compared with my non-xenon equipped leon, especially on unlit roads. They are better in both dip and full beam, but especially fantastic on full beam. Of course you may never use this if you dont drive down quiet unlit roads. There are two types of factory fit Xenons as well - some cars have Xenon only for the dipped beam, ours (I believe) has them for the dipped and full beam. The S-max also has cornering lights which again make a difference only really on unlit roads

They were part of a package with the S-max. I certaintly wouldn't have spent an extra £700 or so to get them on the Leon, but would look out for them if buyijng a second hand car.

Xenon lights - Brit_in_Germany

If your next car will be a new model, there is a good chance that the headlights will be LEDs. These are the technology óf the future and are already replacing xenons in top of the range cars. Whether manufacturers will charge a premium for what should be cheaper equipment remains to be seen.

Xenon lights - gfewster

Do they dazzle other road users? You bet they do.

When a BMW X5 (or other cnutmobile) with such headlights flies up behind you at 95mph on a motorway at night, you effectively get blinded by your own rear view mirrors.

And when they come towards you on an unlit single carriageway road, forget about actually seeing anything through your windscreen until they've gone past.

An absolute menace. Why aren't there rules about this?

Xenon lights - a900ss

Some Xenon's may dazzle but not all. Just like regualar headlights, they need to be correctly aligned otherwise they'll dazzle.

I've only had a car with Xenons since August (but I am a high mileage driver) however I've not been flashed by any cars to indicate that my ligths are dazzling them.

Xenon lights - Armstrong Sid

however I've not been flashed by any cars to indicate that my ligths are dazzling them.

But that doesn't mean you aren't dazzling them. If someone was dazzling me I'm not sure I would start flashing my headlights back at them to try and indicate that I'm being dazzled. I'd just swear at them and get past as quickly as possible

The problem seems to be that Xenon lights (or the eyes of the oncoming driver) are much more sensitive to the slightest up-and-down movement in the road. With "old" lights the vehicle could be moving up and down by quite a large amount, but it wouldn't affect the oncoming driver too much. With Xenons, the slightest millimetre of vertical movement is enough to aim straight at the eye of the victim

Xenons on full beam can be retina meltingly powerful - a bit more than 'ordinary' headlights, but any full beam is.

Oddly, I find oncoming xenons less (on average) blinding than non-xenons - maybe because they're usually aligned & focussed properly. The most dazzling I find, are the Saxo 'specials' with enhanced halogen bulbs, but still with their crummy old reflectors & lenses that scatter more light than they focus - often with poor alignment as well.

Someone mentioned BMW X5 et al - I think part of the problem, especially when they're

following closely ( and don't they always?) is the higher position of their headlights, so they're higher in your eyeline in the mirror. Despite the fact they might be correctly adjusted for distance, they start higher & angle more acutely.

Xenon lights - SteveLee
The factory-fit xenons on my C5 are superb - far better than any conventional headlight I have ever experienced, they don't have or need an option to adjust them because the car has self-levelling suspension. ;-)

OTT, but.. I like the C5 - I considered one before I got the Mondeo, but the thought of using the local franchise dealer for *anything* subsequently, put me off. No other dealers within a sensible range in my neck of the woods.

Xenon lights - Collos25

Nothing to do with self levelling suspension all Xenons factory fit are non user adjustable.

The same lights are available on both the Hydraulic version and the normal version .

Xenon lights - Mike H

all Xenons factory fit are non user adjustable.

Not true, my Saab lights are fully adjustable vertically and horizontally with just a normal screwdriver, despite having the mandatory auto-levelling. There is nothing to stop me adjusting them as I wish. The question of whether I should be doing so is entirely different!

Edited by Mike H on 22/11/2010 at 17:53

Xenon lights - Collos25

If you were to read I said they were non user adjustable which is correct,the fact you can turn screws that in turn adjust the lights are classed as non user not user. Is there a left right adjustment NO is there a dashboard leveler NO.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 22/11/2010 at 18:07

Xenon lights - Mike H

If you were to read I said they were non user adjustable which is correct,the fact you can turn screws that in turn adjust the lights are classed as non user not user. Is there a left right adjustment NO is there a dashboard leveler NO.

There is a left-right adjustment under the bonnet. There is an up-down adjustment under the bonnet. There is never a left-right adjustment in the car. There is, with non-xenon discharge, an up-down adjuster physically in the cabin. I am a user. I can adjust the lights. Your post was ambiguous. Is that clear enough for you Andy? ;-)

Edited by Mike H on 22/11/2010 at 18:32

Xenon lights - Collos25

Again you do not read what I have said,did I say there was a left right adjuster in the cabin NO. You could adjust them with a sledge hammer if you wanted I repeat there are no user adjustment for Xenon´ s.

Xenon lights - Mike H
As you wish, our understanding of the english language is clearly different. I was simply trying to clarify that they are NOT factory-sealed with respect to adjustment.

Edited by Mike H on 22/11/2010 at 19:12

Xenon lights - SteveLee

Nothing to do with self levelling suspension all Xenons factory fit are non user adjustable.

The same lights are available on both the Hydraulic version and the normal version .

Indeed - all Xenon lights (well ALL headlights over 2,000 lumins) must have a self levelling mechanism, I'd still rather deal with the problem at source. :-)

Xenon lights - xtrailman

I want to get some Xenon lights on my next car. I hate driving in the dark on unlit roads. With dipped lights it can be very hard to see and I often need to slow down.

Some people seem to moan about being blinded by them. What do people think, are they really that bad or are they really useful?

The factory fit xenon lights on the xtrail are the best lights i have ever had, excellent on dip and main.

They transform night driving. The light output and spread is immediately noticeable.

I recommend them.