Ford Fusion - Ford Fusion 1.4 TDCI EAC FAIL - Bigdaveg

I have a problem with my 1.4 tdci:

I drove 4 miles yesterday, loaded the car up with a heavy load (bags of soil & sand), upon returning home the car throttle seemed juddery, seconds later EAC FAIL appeared on the dash and throttle response was non existent, i managed to get the car home very slowly and during the process discovered that as i struggled (i.e no more acceleration) changing up enabled me to go quicker I managed to get up to about 30.

I got home left the car for about 2 hours, I got back in it, in order to drop it off at a mechanic's and the EAC FAIL had gone (I'd literally done nothing to the car), I drove it the 6 miles to the mechanic without any problem (@60mph).

The Car was hooked up to a diagnostic machine today, the ONLY fault that came up was P0606 ECM/PCM FAULT :-( Despite this the Car continues to be fine with no apparent re-ocurrence of EAC FAIL.

The mechanic reckons because of the ecu's postion it could be something as simple as water getting into some of the cables/connections (it has ben very wet/cold lately), he cleaned and sprayed all the leads etc.

I did think my redex top up about a week ago may have caused the blip, but the mechanic quickly discounted that.

Apparently the ecu which i believe is where the ecm/pcm is housed can be sent off for testing and possibly repair.

Has anyone had this done and if so how much did it cost and how long did it take, would a week sound about right?.

On a similar note, if the ecu is knacked would this be a good time to consider get a modded ecu ?.

I can remember a similar thing happening to a mitsubishi I had (ECU failer), in that incident the car was under warranty and a refurb ecu was sourced very quickly, any idea's of where this may be available from and what complication's may arise (i.e would a refurb ecu be compatible ?)

Any idea's or info please anybody ?.

Ford Fusion - Ford Fusion 1.4 TDCI EAC FAIL - injection doc
this code is a rather generic code for ford and others I'm afraid but it does reference to an internal comms problem within the PCM
It may be a one of and never occur again. I have come across this code sometimes occuring when the ambient temp drops well below 10 degrees.
i would ensure all the connections are dry and the battery terminals are clean and run for a while to see if fault re-occurs.
may never happen again.
I think from memory the ECU is in a rather vunerable position.
Ford Fusion - Ford Fusion 1.4 TDCI EAC FAIL - Bigdaveg
Other than the one incident on Sunday I've had no re-occurence, the car continues to drive as it did before the incident, I would presume and hope that if it was a serious fault, I.e a knacked ECU that the EAC FAIL would be on all the time ?.

I've also discovered that the cost of a new ecu would be £250-£300 is that about right ?.