Skoda Octavia - Low Oil Level Warning - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Coming back from Heathrow Friday evening with SWMBO, was stuck in heavy traffic on M25 in lashing rain. A yellow oil can sitting on a choppy sea appeared on the dash panel. Asked SWMBO to check what it meant in the handbook (while silently praying) she said it was low oil pressure. Gulp. Later an amended reply of low oil level. Stopped with hazards on and no sign of oil spewing out. No services going north until Toddington(why?) but kept going cautiously. Found a litre of VW507.00 spec Castrol Edge at £20!!!!. Checked oil level and yes, was low. Poured the litre in and the light went off. Checked the oil when I parked on the level and it is now a little high. About 1/2 way up the top black spheroidal thing. I expected the handbook to say something like 1l oil between min and max but no.
The black dipstick has been giving dodgy readings -it is difficult to get consistent readings. I hope the engine is not burning oil excessively and there are no signs of leaks. Only 16months old and done 23,000 miles.
Any ideas apart from checking more regularly?

Skoda Octavia - Low Oil Level Warning - Peter D

When was it topped up last and what engine is it. Regards Peter

Skoda Octavia - Low Oil Level Warning - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Sorry, I'm used to my signature telling all on Briskoda. 2l PD diesel.

VW group diesels always seem to get through about 1-2 litres between services. I check regularly and do a fair mileage ~18,000 miles pa. Guessing 6 weeks ago when I topped up -maybe 1500 miles. As I said the dipstick is difficult to read.The warning light gave reasonable notice any way before the level was very low.Probably should have inserted only 1/2 to 3/4 litre if I'd more time. Got another longish M way trip next week so I will check again (and carry oil).