VW Passat 1.8T 1999 - Help! Rear door deadlocked! - crosbyvalet

Got the dreaded VW rear door deadlock problem,can any one advise.

Keyfob wont open it,cant open it manually.cant open door at all.anyone managed to solve this ???

Regards

Pete (Merseyside)

VW Passat 1.8T 1999 - Help! Rear door deadlocked! - Gor

Got the dreaded VW rear door deadlock problem,can any one advise.

Keyfob wont open it,cant open it manually.cant open door at all.anyone managed to solve this ???

Regards

Pete (Merseyside)

I have this problem and I'm on with fixing it however, I notice this thread comes up in the search like vw rear door deadlocked but, no one has bothered to reply since November 2010.

I couldn't budge the lock with either outside handle, inside handle or key fob dead, what I've read since is the plug connections between the doors might need cleaning.

Some videos on youtube show various ways to open the door but, nothing worked. Heres what I've done so far. Remove the door card, lower the window right down, there is a white plastic tube bung going through the bottom of the window. you can access through the window regulator theres a whole, move the wire to one side. In the middle of the bung is another bung with a whole in it, screw a 6mm screw in and then pull it out, then punch/push the main bung out, it will drop in to the bottom of the door.

You can now pull the window up and tape it in position, remove the cables, plugs and lock rods, remove the bolts and ease the plate off the door watch out for the lock plug needs to be undone.

Once the window is out of the way and the door plate you can see the lock unit, I trashed mine with a big screwdriver and the lock opened.

To remove the lock undue the two torx screws with a 12 sided bit, normal torx won't shift them, to release the outside handle, remove the plastic lock cover and behind the door seal is access to a torx 20 screw losen it until the lock blank on the outside comes out.

You will now see the wire which connects the door handle to the lock, it's a wedge fit so just pull it out and you can remove the lock unit from inside the car.

I ordered a cheap replacement from ebay but, it turned out to be useless and did not work, have now ordered a used one from a VW breaker.

Will update when it's all fixed.

Edited by Gor on 03/11/2017 at 19:18

VW Passat 1.8T 1999 - Help! Rear door deadlocked! - Gor

Heres an update.. VW Passat 2002 saloon 2.0 20 valve.

I ordered a second hand door lock from these people Here it arrived the next day fantastic, fitted it and job done worked perfectly.

Here are some pics which may help you.

Release the dummy door lock

Dummy lock removed

Wire that connects to the handle

Inner door panel removed but first release the window and tape up

This how to take out the plastic bungs to release the window glass

Here are the bungs

After fitting the new lock lower the window by hand and refit bungs

Move the window regulator wire out of the way

Some tools I found handy

If you have to change the window regulator you will need to drill out the rivets one top and one at the bottom.

There you go the only problem I had was pushing the bungs back in to secure the window to its cradle I pushed it right through twice then had to pull the glass back up and fish it out. Be sure to refit all the wires properly.

This video on youtube will help you though I did not remove theelectric window motor and the door lock screw is in a different location VIDEO

Have fun..

Edited by Gor on 04/11/2017 at 16:33