Motorway vs Town - chewy0013

Hello everyone!!

I've been reading the forum for a while, but this is my first post! This is a big request but I'm really hoping someone could recommend me a car....

Ok so some info about my driving.

Weekends - I tend to do mainly motorway driving visiting friends and family. This tends to be mainly motorway drives at speeds of about 85 mph. At these revs (4k) i uses a fair amount of fuel. I reckon I do about 450 motorway miles a month.

Weekdays - I live in Bristol so its pretty slow moving congested driving. I tend to only drive around 350 miles a month during the week.

What I'm looking for is something 1.8 to 2.0 litre. Not fussed about diesel or petrol but i don't think i do the miles to pay the premium on a diesel. Focus/Astra/Golf Sized. That can easily do 85 mph on the motorway with out revving as high 4k. Maybe something like a 6 speed 1.8 petrol??

I have about £8,000 to spend in late Dec/early Jan.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance. Stuart

Motorway vs Town - Collos25

I thought the speed limit on motorways in the uk is 70mph with the number of new speed cameras on motorways if you keep driving at 85 then its a new bike you will require.Just an observation.

Brilliant observation....

Motorway vs Town - a900ss

Stuart, Don't worry about others opinions, I drive at a similar speed on the motorway when safe and shall continue to do so. (Clean licence for over 9 years averaging about 45k a year as well). You're right in that your mileage doesn't warrant a diesel. If I were looking for that sort of sixe car and budget, one of the first cars I'd be looking at is a Honda Civic. Maybe not as good to drive as a Focus but very reliable, hold onto their value quite well and huge inside for the exterior size. It's a nice motorway drive. Good luck and try a few different cars out until your find the one for you.

Thats the past nine years - there are new unmarked speed cameras going up allover the place on motorways in the uk the next nine years will be slightly different.

Motorway vs Town - SteveLee

The indicated 85mph most of us drive at on the motorway is only about 80mph in actual speed - the chances of being nicked for that are practically nil - cameras or not.

a900ss - Thanks for the advice! I had never considered the Civic an option until you mentioned it. I think I will need to book a test drive.

What do people think of the Golf 1.4 TSI? It is a little above my budget, but gets really good reviews and from what I have read online seems to handle motorway miles well?

Andy - I appreciate the point that your making, and your 100% right it is illegal to drive at 85, there are more speed cameras about and that eventually I will most likely be caught by the fuzz....

But I was really just after advice on what car to get.

Just a bit of fun,

Motorway vs Town - madf

200 mile daily commute?

I did 100 miles and was knackered by weekends.. and that was a new car..

With an older car... relaibility issues.. etc..

Digs three times a week. Or twice... Saves wear and tear on you. , the car does not matter..

Edited by madf on 08/11/2010 at 15:59

Just a bit of fun,

Here in Germany there are that many hidden cameras even in the deristricted parts on the autobahns you have to be careful because of all the speed limit changes with no warning if you are going 200 plus you can never slow down fast enough to beat the waiting camera.Cameras hidden in waste bins,under camoflage nets,under bridges and they are painted green or silver so you can't see them the UK will go the same way no doubt.