Peugeot 406 turbo diesel 1998 - Oil in the radiator and water in oil!! - Michael Magennis

Hi all!!! My wee 406 is sick. was driving about town and noticed the temp very high. When i got home i checked the radiator and it had oil in it. I then checked the oil and it was empty with air bubbles on the dip stick..... I need advice on the problem of which i think is the head gasket, and how to source the part cheeply. You know the craic, comin up on Christmas with two kiddies, this needs to be a shoe string fix. thanks for your time

Peugeot 406 turbo diesel 1998 - Oil in the radiator and water in oil!! - Avant

Moved to Technical, where you should get some help. It certainly sounds like the head gasket. A good independent garage, rather than a main dealer, should be able to help you (or supply parts if you want to DIY).

Peugeot 406 turbo diesel 1998 - Oil in the radiator and water in oil!! - Peter.N.

Certainly sounds like the head gasket, the cost is not so much in the gasket as in fitting it. If yours is a 1.9 its not to bad a job but a 2.1, although the better engine, is a pig to change. If you are going to do it yourself don't buy a cheap gasket, get a laminated one, these are much stronger, with the ammount of work involved its not worth fitting a cheap one.

Peugeot 406 turbo diesel 1998 - Oil in the radiator and water in oil!! - Michael Magennis

thanks for your help