Audi A3 Sportback - or A4, Octavia - Purchasing an Audi A3 Sportback- what to look for? - larryegg

Hello all

Following on from a question that my wife posted a few weeks ago, we have found ourselves trying to find a sensible car for a future family after a few years of fun with a 2001 Mazda Mx5 Mk2 1.8.

We have narrowed it down to the A3 Sportback, with perhaps consideration for an A4 Avant or a Skoda Octavia?

Our budget is £10k (inc P/X for the Mazda) and for that kind of money we can get the following:

07 A3 with 60,000, 1.9TDi Manual* preferred option

06 A4 with 60,000, 1.9TDi Manual

07 Skoda with 60,000, 1.9TDi Manual

My questions are: Is this a good option? And what should we be looking for in a car of this age in terms of service history, maintenance etc.

Also, what we will likely be needing to replace in the coming years? Problems issues to be aware of would also be helpful, if any kind soul would like to impart their advice.

Many thanks in advance, Larry.

Audi A3 Sportback - or A4, Octavia - Purchasing an Audi A3 Sportback- what to look for? - dieselicious

the A3 is small for a family car. Ok for day to day use, but depends on which pushchair you get as to whether you get any room left in the boot for shopping. Also, rear legroom isn't all that, so when the little ones get to 3 years old they shout because they haven't got enough legroom (until they're old enough for a booster seat which seats them further back and solves the issue). And if you go away on holiday you will need a roofbox. Unless you're going to a naturist reserve.

Otherwise the A3 is a good car, and does feel a premium product over the comparable golf.

The A4 avant is nice, but avoid the base model - it'll feel cheap inside.

The Skoda is great - had one for 7 weeks as a hire car and liked it. The interior is lower rent than the audi, so it just depends how much you need to love your environment....

the 1.9tdi is a good engine. it won't disappoint.

p.s. I've got 2 kids 3 and under and ditched an A3 Sportback for an A6 Avant. And for a 4 night break at center parcs / camping the A6 is rammed full - any mention of taking a childs bike next year and i'll need a roofbox/trailer.

Audi A3 Sportback - or A4, Octavia - Purchasing an Audi A3 Sportback- what to look for? - larryegg

Hi Dieselicious, thanks for your reply.

Interesting comments over the size of the A3, I guess coming from an MX5 everything seems big! I'm just not sure the change in size to something even bigger is going to be something that's easy to get used to...

In terms of mileage, I guess we would be only looking to keep it for 3/4 years as my other half is currently driving 12,000 miles a year and we would be up near the 100,000 mark for the car by then?

Do you have any comments over likely major services that any of the cars mentioned would need at around the 60,000 mark? I'd like to be aware of this (and check it has been done) when purchasing the car.

Many thanks, Larry.

Audi A3 Sportback - or A4, Octavia - Purchasing an Audi A3 Sportback- what to look for? - AlleyCat`

CamBelt change would be the big cost on a 60K mile car (typically). I'd check to see if that was done. If not you'll be looking at a more costly service than usual.

The A3 and to some extent the A4 are much tighter inside the rear compared to the equivalent VW (passat or golf).

I'd personally split the difference and look for an equivalent passat (try and get a 130bhp 1.9tdi), but of the choices offered i'd have the Skoda.

Edited by AlleyCat` on 04/11/2010 at 16:26