volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - linds888
Hi guys,
Right here's the deal,
My mate is selling is V reg 2000 VW golf 1.8 turbo. Done 147,000 miles, mot has another 6months, 4 brand new tyres! I've seen the car, absolutlley spectacular in and out!!! Price, £2200.
I'm guna get it checked out by my mechanic friend. What do u alll think? Good deal? Too good to be true?
Anyway I'm a first time buyer, that's the downfall. Insurance is SKY high!!! But my other choice was a Clio. I took the VW for a little spin and I am so in love.
Help. Advice please! As you can tell, I'm a woman!!
volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - conara
Hi golfs are ok , I don't think it is the best price I just was offerd a late 2001 full Maine dealer history 88k miles silver turbo d for 1700 and turned it down the 1.8 gti seams a littel high on price in my opinion when I was looking for the cheep to run tax insure golf I found a lot of 02 03 plate gti golf 's for 2k and i unded up picking up for them a 02 full history 1.4 s with all the toys 12 months mot 3weeks tax 18inch vw rims, a pretty littel car and paid 1600, so I would say look for a smaller cc if it's your with the gti as a 1st car you will probably end up paying more than the value of the car to keep it coverd by tax and insureance thare are bargains out their especially coming close to christmass . And don't forget to ask if it's had all it's servicing done it could be close to needing a belt and pump change witch could cost you around 300
volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - bonzo dog

I would say the price is a little high given the mileage but if the condition is A1 then this would off-set.

Agree with Con about the engine size & insurance; I would also think that any Golf would not lend itself to a reasonable insurance premium.

Unless you need the space or will be doing lots of heavy motorways driving I'd be looking at a 1200cc Micra with a third of the mileage of the Golf. You should be able to pick up a 54 or even 55 plate at £2,500 (don't forget with no PX you can bargin the asking price down a little); which you can afford as you will be saving on your insurance & running costs

Good luck

Edited by bonzo dog on 03/11/2010 at 09:31

volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - Collos25

The price is double what its worth tell him you will offer £1200 if he does not take it walk away for over £2k you can get a much much newer and better car.

volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - injection doc
walk away it will end in tears, may look great but 150k miles its near the end of its reliability. To have to replace a turbo or gearbox will wipe out the value of the car!
You could buy much newer and more reliable, your just looking at how pretty it looks and not the practacality.
It may also break your licence being a turbo.
Think smaller and more practical.
volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - jc2

Price is about £1200 too much and you'd need that again for the insurance.

volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - madf

First time buyer wants to buy clapped out GTI Turbo.

As yiou know nothing about cars - or so you say- buy a small Group 1-3 insurance car with a warranty from a reputable dealer.

Buying a high powered huge mileage GTI is just madness. And if it's from a friend, he will not be one when it goes wrong - which it will do - expensively.

And as others say, it's overpriced.

Start by reading HJ's guide to buying cars and learn some common sense approaches to buying - not on a whim as you appear to be.

Edited by madf on 03/11/2010 at 11:11

volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - conara
Hi have you ever thought of a fiat seicento sporting abath, nice pretty car have remote locking power steering elec windows but cheep to tax group 1or 2 and do about 50 mpg and if you look about I know of one with 3 owners history and only 43 000 miles and will probably go for less than 1200 I just fond it on a website
volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Ten year old car , high mileage with T&T, worth a punt at £500.

Allow lots for insurance and repairs.

volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - Paul G1pdc

PLEASE GET AN INSURANCE QUOTE...

just looked at a well know car site, which lists car information....don't know if you know this but car insurance groups used to be 1-20 but are now changing/changed to 1-50.

the car you are looking at is group 33 out of 50. I then had a quick look at the 3.2 v6 golf, which is only 3 groups higher....a chap here at work has a 18 year old son who has just started paying £2000 per year on a P reg 306 1.4 litre.....

you might not even get insurance at all.............at least being a 1999 model the road tax is capped at about £200. otherwise the emisions based road tax on a 1.8turbo petrol would also cost a packet....its really borring but consider a low engine size banger for 12months until you get 30% discount on the insurance then have a look around at something else.

1.8 T GTI (180ps) 5d 33

paul.....old and borring.....hahahaah

I owned a RS turbo Fiesta when I was 24....cost £700 insurance with 64% NCB and that was errrrr 16 years ago then a MK1 MR2..........please let us know quote for the vw......

Edited by Paul G1pdc on 03/11/2010 at 12:45

im 22 this year, since everybody has said the value of car is £1200... how do you check?? i been thinking, if i get a car like this, i'd probably have it for another 4 years, say i hit 200k mileage on the clock, the car is going to be worthless.
i did an insurance quote, £2500 fully comp from admiral. BUT i really LOVE the gold GTI's, considering i was dead on having a clio.....
i been looking to buy a car for about 2months now and i must say i havent seen any cars 54/55 plate going for £2500.
maybe one of two but they have been damaged.
first choice golf GTI (i love it!!)
second choice renault clio
third choice vauxhall corsa... maybe?

help?

FOR a really rough idea on the value of cars look on the "Parkers" web site. it'll give dealer price, private price etc, with average milage and its free. ok ok prices are rough ideas only and should be taken with a pinch of salt. ie if the cars amazing it might well be worth more to the buyer than what its true value is....just bear in mind that if you total/right off the car the real value ie 1200 will be paid out not the 2200 you paid....the same site will also have owners reviews...listing common faults. bit like this site does

I'd check out "AUTOTRADER" site and see what else is in a 40mile radius. cars are a bit like buying houses etc....you alway wish you had an extra 1000 or so, and a better one always comes up after you've bought one hahahaah....

have fun buying one, its great to have a car...thing is.....when you own a push bike you think hmmm £20 for that mountain bike tyres is steep,,,you then own a car...hmmm that £110 for that 17" tyre is a bit steep....then you buy a house......ouchhhhhhhhhh lets not start with children......

ahahahahahahaha.....

paul.....

volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - woodster

linds888 - you haven't really come here for advice, have you? I think you're looking for someone to say: 'yeah, great deal, great car, go for it!'.

Well, ignore everybody's advice, go for it, then let us know how you get on. You'll be in a superbs position to give others advice in a year or two's time!

no no no i have appreciated all this advice and i have actually taken it on board!!
i decieded NOT to go for the car, as much as i love the drive of it and how easy it is being a 1.8 turbo... i figured i keep ot for another 4 years or so, car will be worthless with the mileage.
think i will get a car with no more than 80,000 miles on the clock.
but this forum is great, and i thank every single person who has replied and given me pretty much all the advice i needed! :)

love your advice paul, made me smile!

i know exactly what you mean! heard alot about parkers i will check it out when i see a car!

checked auto trader and ive seen same car, maybe less mileage for about £500 cheaper. but i cant see the condition of the car, my mates car had superb and consistant paintwork, no sign of damage, suspension was all good. but it was the mileage that was worrrying.

another thing that REALLY bugs me is when i think ive found the right car, id phone up and they all say 'sorry, sold!' GRR,,,,,,,,,

i must say i havent seen any cars 54/55 plate going for £2500.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/

And as I keep saying, these are asking prices. Sellers are likely to come down a touch as you have no PX

As someone else says, it looks like you want someone to say "yes, that's a geat buy!" The thing is, you're looking to buy a car on it's image; nowt wrong with that but image costs & image doesn't equal reliability.

Golfs do hold their value better than most cars which means you are going to pay more to buy one than most other makes.

PS don't waste your money on Parkers Guide. You will get a far better guide using the above link

Good luck

yes i know! hahahaha BUT like i replied to his message, i DO appreciate everyones advice on here and i have decieded not to go for this particular car now!

im on the auto trader website now....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201044371931278/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-from/1000/price-to/3000/model/clio/make/renault/quicksearch/true/page/3/radius/10/postcode/bs70uy?logcode=p

what do you think?

volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - ianhad2

I would say it's well overpriced. Also if you have no no-claims you will have difficulties insureing it. See link, but try to stick to Japanese, and avoid French cars, when it comes to reliability.

www.adrianflux.co.uk/blog/2007/06/top-ten-cars-for...l

a japanese car is something that i would like to have,my budget is only £2300 MAX,
alot of people do say french cars are unreliable.... >.<
that site is actually really handy! never knew a old shape beetle is cheapest to insure!!! thanks!
volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - madf

You can buy a perfectly respectable Toyota Yaris for £2300 if you look hard..

You can buy a low mileage full service history Daewoo Matiz for £2300 and have change.

(it's Korean).

Both in smaller engines do 50mpg and low insurance and easy to drive and park. And reliable and cheap servicing..

If as I suspect a low budget also means low running costs, then mpg and tax and insurance and servicing costs are important to you... As is reliability.

If you know nothing of cars, try to either get a friend to help or find a dealer which is approved by Trading Standards.. (which means some degree of honesty).

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201044371932593/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/3000/fuel-type/petrol/engine-size-cars/1l_to_1-3l/model/micra/make/nissan/radius/1500/postcode/wa89hp/page/92?logcode=p

You may be able to knock him down a bit & like I said, will save money on the insurance

HI linds888

hmm I'm confused...its easy i'm male...you said your budget was 2300 max. but considered buying the 1.8t for 2200 and 2500 insurance so your total budget is 4700.

so if you buy what some of the others have said ie a yaris etc etc... your car budget would be 1000 more than 2300. as you'd be saving 1000 on the insurance. ie 3300 for the car and 1500 insurance....

or does the saving on the insurance go to your clothing budget....hahahaha

paul.

volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - BigJohnD

Avoid listening to sweeping statements like "don't buy a French car" "Japanese are the most reliable". &c. For a start hardly any car is designed built and assembled in exclusively one country, and parts are sourced from all over the planet, and your Toyota could well have been assembled in Derby or your Nissan in Sunderland, and Puegeots and Citroens are built all over Europe.

Speak to those who own the model you are considering buying (Owners Clubs for example) and check the safety recalls at http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp?tx=VOSA

Hey paul. My budget for the car only is £2300. I have £2300 to spend on the car. Obviously the cheaper the better but I want a decent, reliable car as I plan to keep it for at least 4 years!!

Saving on insurance wil definitely go towards a new handbag!! Hahaha!
Nissan Micra looks great... Thanks!!!
But... I've had some bad experiences in micra so don't think I would like to have one!
Nissan Micra looks great... Thanks!!!
But... I've had some bad experiences in micra so don't think I would like to have one!
volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - Laird Lugton

Interesting my Glass guide valuation for my car, 2001 Golf GTi 1.8T with 70000 miles comes out at £3,300. Does one year and and extra 77,000 make that much difference?

volkswagen golf GTI - im clueless.. help! - Collos25

Yes