smooth riding family car - Gotanoldhondar

Hello, talking to my dad this weekend who is under the doctor with neck and back pain, he is going to change his car due to the harsh ride of his audi which is not helping the situation,he is not bothered about badge but wants a saloon or hatchback family car as he does a lot of running around with grandchildren. the ride is the important bit for him.

criteria> petrol auto if possible not essential

as soft a ride as possible

enough power to do motorways

up to 5 years old/£10000 budget

many thanks

smooth riding family car - veryoldbear

Citroen C5 ?

Does the Audi have big wheels with low profile tyres ? This is a frequent cause of painful ride on many marques of car.

smooth riding family car - a900ss

It's not just the ride that's important, so are the seats. I'd go for a Volvo, possibly a Saab, without sports suspension and the smallest wheels (16 inch probably) that I could find.

smooth riding family car - BigJohnD

If ride comfort is the top priority, then go for a Citroën C5 Exclusive with its long wheelbase, active suspension and great seats.

With a bit of luck you should be able to find one still under warranty for £10K.

smooth riding family car - TheOilBurner
Another vote for the C5.

Just make sure it is the Exclusive spec, lower spec cars (since 2008) have regular steel springs and have nothing special to offer.

If a car older than 2008 is okay, then the old C5 range is all hydractive, with Exclusive models getting a more advanced system.

But hey, if a Saloon is okay, why not also consider the plush and distinctive C6? All models have "proper" Citroën suspension, and there's a choice of cracking diesel engines, plus a 3.0 V6 petrol for anyone inclined that way...

I think a citroen c5 is going to get a test drive reading your responses ,good point about the seats which have to be good.I don't know anything about volvos or saabs are they as smooth as the c5 and are saabs a safe bet at say 4/5 years old.i am thinking the c5 would be the cheaper car to run,and yes his audi is on low profile tires but has only bothered him since his pains ,but it is harsh and is a reason,anything else to consider ?

thanks

smooth riding family car - RaineMan

If his annual mileage is low I would suggest spending £5000 on an XJ6 and keeping the other half odf the money for servicing and repairs.

smooth riding family car - BigJohnD

From HJ's reviews:

Citroën’s acclaimed Hydractive 3 Plus self-levelling suspension features springing and damping that adjusts instantaneously to offer a cosseting ride, whatever the road conditions. A soft mode provides optimum comfort while a firmer mode delivers greater body control. A “Sport” mode can also be selected for an even more dynamic ride.

Certain versions can be specified with a driver’s seat back massage function. The front seats are fully adjustable, with either manual or electric controls, while rear passengers benefit from generous amounts of legroom - the absence of a central tunnel ensures a flat floor throughout the rear.

More at: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/citroen/c5-2008/

smooth riding family car - daveyjp
S type Jag ticks all the boxes.
smooth riding family car - Graham567
New shape 2007> Ford Mondeo with 16" wheels.Glides over bumps.Even on 18" wheels the ride is still acceptable.Comes with bluetooth as standard and heated front window for those frosty mornings.Also the dash has an inbuilt heater so when the car is started in the morning,you get hot air out of the vents within 30 seconds even though the engine is still cold.

Saabs have good seats etc but avoid the sports (Vector) modesl whcih tend to have "sports seats" which are not as comfortable. Vector models also tend to have sports suspension and 17" wheels whcih are not as comfy as the Arcs and Linears with 16" wheels.

Thanks for the replies very helpful ,quite a lot to look at there ,i did not think of the Ford mondeo but it seems you get a lot for your money with them,also a couple of jaguars mentioned i think he would like one,his friend has one in dark green the new one ,very nice car but a little out of his budget...

smooth riding family car - ForumNeedsModerating

I'd second the Mondeo (post 2007) on 16inch 55-ratio wheels (Zetec spec) - i tried several cars & the Mondeo was the easy winner - ride comfort was paramount to me, but the bonus with Mondeo is the fantastic handling too (I don't know how they do it, but they do)

Bags of passenger space, huge boot, nice looking, cheap/local service & running costs.

There are petrol autos around - & they probably go for peanuts as a result.

I love mine - and that's after years in a Merc c-class with a supposedly good ride - Mondeo knocks spots off it.

Thanks for that woodbines,when i was looking for my car i had the Mondeo as one to look at ,your making me wish i had ,though i am happy with mine.I have passed a list on to my dad its up to him now, personally i would go for the Ford.

thanks

smooth riding family car - Westpig

I'll second the Jag S Type.

He'll easily get one within budget. I've owned one for 8 years now and apart from irritating door lock problems which in the big scheme of things are not that expensive, all the original faults have been ironed out by the time the later models came about.

Very, very comfortable car.

smooth riding family car - Andy P

I've just had a 9-3 for a few weeks as a courtesy car, and was surprised to find that the seats offered very little lateral support. I also found the steering to be vague with little feedback, the interior was very plasticky and not very well put together and the diesel engine was very noisy (1.9TiD). Overall, I was quite disappointed - perhaps too much GM in it.

smooth riding family car - bbc123

I'd agree - my 1999 9-3 is good except for the GM bits (springs, shocks, steering rack, bulkhead, torsion bar rear suspension). The Saab bits (engine, transmission, interior fittings, electrics) are absolutely fine! The ride is smooth and very compliant, but I couldn't recommend a car this old, it'd be more trouble than it's worth...

Ah but the 9-3 is a big posh Astra, just as the 9-5 is a big posh Vectra ...

Citroen 5 it is

Edited by veryoldbear on 04/11/2010 at 19:42

smooth riding family car - bbc123

The 9-3 uses the GM epsilon floorpan - or rather, a Cavalier. 1980s technology launched as a new car in the form of the "new" Saab 900 in 1994. The 9-5 is a mixture of a Type 4 floorpan (Saab 9000, Alfa 164 etc) and an updated epsilon chassis used in the Vectra. And then they wondered why Saab's fortunes dwindled...

Edited by robjamac on 04/11/2010 at 19:52